Sprite Tag - How to Use?

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
willoneill

Sprite Tag - How to Use?

Post by willoneill »

Hey there! I've found a few threads that explain how to incorporate sprites into dialogue through use of the TextMesh Pro extension, but is there any way to do it in Unity 2017+ without installing TMP? Or is TMP still required? Or is there any other way or tag I can use in Dialogue System that will allow me to insert small graphics into dialogue lines?

Please advise, thanks!
Tony Li

Re: Sprite Tag - How to Use?

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

You can use the <quad> rich text code with Unity UI, but it's unwieldy. TMP handles sprites better and is free.

If you're handy with scripting, you could also put your own special codes in the dialogue text and parse them out in an OnConversationLine method or, if you make a subclass of UnityUIDialogueUI, the ShowSubtitles method. In this case it would be up to you to do something with that information, such as activating certain UI Images or something like that.
willoneill

Post by willoneill »

Understood, Tony! I may just wait until TMP is integrated natively into Unity itself, though I'll have to take a look and see how soon that will be...

Thanks for the quick response!
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

In that case, wait for the Dialogue System version 2.0, which I'm trying to release by April 30. It's going to introduce a new StandardDialogueUI that works like UnityUIDialogueUI but also natively supports TMP as an option. It should be easier to configure, too.