Can't get SMS dialogue to display for NPC

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
Tony Li

Re: Can't get SMS dialogue to display for NPC

Post by Tony Li »

Each dialogue UI should have its own set of UI elements (alert panel, subtitle panels, etc.).

I'm sorry; I still don't have a clear idea of whether the unmodified SMS Dialogue UI prefab correctly shows SMS-style subtitles. Would it help if I were to provide an example? A common setup is to have two dialogue UIs, like this:

1. A "regular" dialogue UI used for face-to-face conversations with NPCs.

2. An SMS dialogue UI used when interacting with the player character's phone. The phone GameObject usually has an Override Dialogue UI or Override Display Settings component, and the conversation occurs between the player and the phone GameObject.
xyztankman

Post by xyztankman »

Tony Li wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:01 am Each dialogue UI should have its own set of UI elements (alert panel, subtitle panels, etc.).

I'm sorry; I still don't have a clear idea of whether the unmodified SMS Dialogue UI prefab correctly shows SMS-style subtitles. Would it help if I were to provide an example? A common setup is to have two dialogue UIs, like this:

1. A "regular" dialogue UI used for face-to-face conversations with NPCs.

2. An SMS dialogue UI used when interacting with the player character's phone. The phone GameObject usually has an Override Dialogue UI or Override Display Settings component, and the conversation occurs between the player and the phone GameObject.
Yes, the unmodified SMS dialogue UI prefab correctly shows SMS-style subtitles. I replaced the standard Dialogue UI with the SMS for regular conversations and it displays them through the SMS-style. When overriding with the SMS dialogue it won't show the NPC dialogue. I just recorded the gif below of what happens.
DialogueTrigger.JPG
DialogueTrigger.JPG (67.9 KiB) Viewed 595 times
Currently I have the override on the GameObject that starts the dialogue,. If the conversation occurs between the player and phone GameObject, should the dialogue actor and conversation conversant be on the phone instead of Test2?
Attachments
SMS_Text.gif
SMS_Text.gif (17.31 KiB) Viewed 595 times
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Here's an example scene (exported from Unity 2020):

DS_SMSAndRegularExample_2021-12-14.unitypackage

Maybe we can use it as a basis of comparison. It has two buttons. The first button runs a conversation using the Basic Standard Dialogue UI. The second button runs the same conversation using an Override Display Settings component and SMS Dialogue UI.
xyztankman

Post by xyztankman »

Tony Li wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:51 am Here's an example scene (exported from Unity 2020):

DS_SMSAndRegularExample_2021-12-14.unitypackage

Maybe we can use it as a basis of comparison. It has two buttons. The first button runs a conversation using the Basic Standard Dialogue UI. The second button runs the same conversation using an Override Display Settings component and SMS Dialogue UI.
That was it! So I made the separate GameObject SMS and added the Override Dialogue UI (the Override Display was only working once, it switched back to regular dialogue after). I also used the Dialogue trigger on the text message GameObject instead of having a separate object enable it, saves me a bit of time there. Back up and running, thanks Tony!

So I'm planning on using the text messaging for visual clues too, it is possible to have jpgs displayed in the dialogue text area?
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Glad to help!
xyztankman wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:02 pmSo I'm planning on using the text messaging for visual clues too, it is possible to have jpgs displayed in the dialogue text area?
Yes. Switch to TextMesh Pro (see TextMesh Pro Support) and use <sprite> tags.
xyztankman

Post by xyztankman »

Tony Li wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:55 pm Glad to help!
xyztankman wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:02 pmSo I'm planning on using the text messaging for visual clues too, it is possible to have jpgs displayed in the dialogue text area?
Yes. Switch to TextMesh Pro (see TextMesh Pro Support) and use <sprite> tags.
Perfect, thanks a bunch Tony!