[Solved] Safe to delete default fields from template?

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
tomb

[Solved] Safe to delete default fields from template?

Post by tomb »

Hi Tony

I am nearing the end of a project and I am aware there are certain fields in the database we don't/won't use for it and was wanting to remove them.

Is it safe to delete the following fields from the Dialgue Entries template and and apply it to all conversations?
- Menu Text
- Response Menu Sequence
- EventGuid

I will make a backup before deleting anything.

Thanks

Tom
Last edited by tomb on Mon Aug 19, 2024 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Li

Re: Safe to delete default fields from template?

Post by Tony Li »

Hi Tom,

Don't remove Menu Text. Technically it won't hurt, but the Dialogue System will automatically add it back since it's a required field even if it's blank.

You can remove Response Menu Sequence if it's blank. It's possible someone accidentally clicked the "Add Response Menu Sequence" button on a dialogue entry. Just make sure no one intentionally wrote a Response Menu Sequence.

You can remove EventGuid if you're sure that you're not using any OnExecute() Scene Events, or if the EventGuid field is blank.
tomb

Re: Safe to delete default fields from template?

Post by tomb »

Perfect, thanks for the info.
Tony Li wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 2:15 pm You can remove Response Menu Sequence if it's blank. It's possible someone accidentally clicked the "Add Response Menu Sequence" button on a dialogue entry. Just make sure no one intentionally wrote a Response Menu Sequence.
Very likely me clicking on things when first trying it out! I have checked the database and those fields are all empty - thank you.
Tony Li wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 2:15 pm You can remove EventGuid if you're sure that you're not using any OnExecute() Scene Events, or if the EventGuid field is blank.
We did use these early on in the project, but I felt I was likely to make a mistake and break something when I was duplicating scenes or conversations with scene events already set up - they've all been replaced now.

The solution I went for was to add Dialogue System Trigger components (set to run on enable) to uniquely named deactivated GameObjects in the scene (under a parent GameObject called "Events"). In conversations I use "SetActive(NameOfUniqueGameObject)" in a sequence when I want to trigger the event.

This has made it very easy for me to set up, duplicating and renaming scenes, conversations and events and making little adjustments as needed.