New Variables not updated in Watch

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
Alatriste

New Variables not updated in Watch

Post by Alatriste »

Hi

When I open the watch tab, the variables I can see are old ones. (I did a quick test with some variables, I delete them but I still can see them there, instead of the new ones.) I click on update, etc, but nothings changed.

I tried to close Unity and reopen it again, but still no luck.

On a side not, also in the variable tab, from the field "Sync from" there is a button "Sync now", but when I click it, all my variables dissapear. Is it normal?

Thanks.
Tony Li

Re: New Variables not updated in Watch

Post by Tony Li »

I'll try to reproduce this get and back to you later today. I'm about to get on the road for a couple hours, but I'll reply back here as soon as I can.
Alatriste

Post by Alatriste »

No rush Tony. Thanks. ;)
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

I think I understand what you mean now. Yes, the existing watches will stay in the list in case you're switching between multiple databases.

However, there is a bug in the way the window caches the variable list that's shown in the dropdown when you select Watches > Menu > Add Variable. I'll fix it in the next release. In the meantime, if you close the Dialogue Editor window and re-open it, it should refresh the variable list.
Abelius

Post by Abelius »

Hi there,

Sorry for necroing this thread, but I have the same (or very similar) problem as Alatriste. I've got all these boolean variables I've created...:

...and I can't correctly add watches for them at runtime. Even if I reset them all and auto-add all variables this is what I get:

And if I try to select them manually from the dropdown list, they don't show up at all:

So I was asking myself if you already fixed this in a previous release (?).

Also, that workaround you mention doesn't work for me, so I'm basically blind at how my DS variables are at a given time.

And a final question...: the fact that a watch shows its value with a dropdown list instead of a read-only field, does that mean that it's not giving the value correctly?
Unity 2019.4.9f1
Dialogue System 2.2.15
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Sorry about this issue. I was able to reproduce it. I'll have a patch for you by the end of the weekend.

In the meantime, although it's not as convenient, you can add a Lua Console to your scene. Then enter:

Code: Select all

return Variable
to get an accurate list of all runtime variables and their values.
Abelius

Post by Abelius »

Tony Li wrote:Sorry about this issue. I was able to reproduce it. I'll have a patch for you by the end of the weekend.
Thank you so much!
Tony Li wrote:In the meantime, although it's not as convenient, you can add a Lua Console to your scene. Then enter:

Code: Select all

return Variable
to get an accurate list of all runtime variables and their values.
Oh, I didn't know about this feature. It seems to be very handy and will help me for other debugging I'm sure.

Is there a way to assign another key combination for bringing the console up? I don't have a US keyboard... :?

Ofc, I'd appreciate if you still work on fixing the Watches window. :mrgreen:

Thanks.
Unity 2019.4.9f1
Dialogue System 2.2.15
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Abelius wrote:Oh, I didn't know about this feature. It seems to be very handy and will help me for other debugging I'm sure.
The Lua Console is also helpful in builds. You can even add your own Lua functions to do things like give the player health or ammo.
Abelius wrote:Is there a way to assign another key combination for bringing the console up? I don't have a US keyboard... :?
It also accepts the back quote character ( ` ) + L. In the next version, I'll make it user-configurable.
Abelius wrote:Ofc, I'd appreciate if you still work on fixing the Watches window. :mrgreen:
Will do. I'll try to make the fix available as soon as possible next week.