"Speaker has no bark UI" Error

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
Scrumbo

"Speaker has no bark UI" Error

Post by Scrumbo »

Hi! I ran into a weird error the other day that's been driving me up a wall.

I'm changing from using a mixamo model to a different model. I set the old one up to have the exact same components as the old one but barks are not triggering, instead they throw this error for the new model.
Screenshot 2024-03-03 172847.png
Screenshot 2024-03-03 172847.png (28.34 KiB) Viewed 161 times
I changed all the in scene dependencies to refer to the new player, and the barks work fine when the old player is dragged in and the barker is set to the old player, but despite having the Bubble UI component as a child and a Bark Dialogue UI component attached, it still gives me this error. I feel like I might be missing something silly. Here's the inspector for the new character just in case.
Screenshot 2024-03-03 174322.png
Screenshot 2024-03-03 174322.png (76.55 KiB) Viewed 161 times
Thanks to everyone for your time and help so far, cant wait to hear from you all soon!
Tony Li

Re: "Speaker has no bark UI" Error

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Which bubble UI is a child of the Character GameObject? Make sure "Bubble Template Standard Bark UI" (or any UI with a StandardBarkUI component) is a child. It's fine to also have a subtitle panel as a child such as "Bubble Template Standard UI Subtitle Panel". Since Character has a Dialogue Actor, to avoid ambiguity assign those child(ren) to the Dialogue Actor, too.
Scrumbo

Post by Scrumbo »

Tony Li wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:24 pm Since Character has a Dialogue Actor, to avoid ambiguity assign those child(ren) to the Dialogue Actor, too.
...Yep, that fixed it. I KNEW it was something silly!! Thank you so much for the speedy reply! I'm submitting this game to something soon, so I needed to get this sorted out as soon as possible. I think I would have been pulling my hair out if you hadn't tipped me off to this!! You rock!
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Glad to help! Good luck on your submission!