Using and resetting conversation fields to track "times visited"

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
wedgiebee

Using and resetting conversation fields to track "times visited"

Post by wedgiebee »

Hello, I have a conversation where I want to track the number of times that particular conversation has been visited, and branch into different dialogue accordingly.

I've added a field called "TimesVisited" to that conversation's fields. I'm using fields instead of a global variable because I don't want it to be included in save data.

The context is it's a conversation that happens repeatedly during a boss fight. So if the player dies, and the scene reloads, I want that value (and any other conversation fields I add) to reset to their default value, but I'm not sure how to do that.

I tried making a script that would reset all conversation's fields to their default value, by copying the code to reset variables to their initial value from this post (https://www.pixelcrushers.com/phpbb/vie ... a36#p39138). But conversation fields don't seem to have a "initial value" available.

Is there another way to iterate through all conversations and reset all their custom fields when a scene loads?
Tony Li

Re: Using and resetting conversation fields to track "times visited"

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

When the player dies, are you loading a saved game (e.g., from a checkpoint)? If so, then it should just work the way you describe; no need to do anything else.

If you reload the scene without loading a saved game, you can add a script that resets conversations' "TimesVisited" fields. Something like:

Code: Select all

public void Die()
{
    // Set all conversations' TimedVisited fields to zero:
    foreach (var conversation in DialogueManager.masterDatabase.conversations)
    {
        DialogueLua.SetConversationField(conversation.id, "TimesVisited", 0);
    }
    // Reload the current scene:
    SaveSystem.LoadScene(SceneManager.GetActiveScene().name);
}