Dialogue Scaling Question

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
JamesTFreaknKirk

Dialogue Scaling Question

Post by JamesTFreaknKirk »

Hello!

I've been using your add on for quite some time, and realized when I built to a different device that my scaling is a bit off. I'm sure this is really easy to fix, but I cant figure it out. For some reason when my text is too long on a dialogue box, the writing overflows, is there a way to have it automatically cut off the text when it is too long and split it into two dialogue messages/panels?
example.PNG
example.PNG (57.11 KiB) Viewed 5974 times
Thanks so much for your time! and for this incredible asset :D
Tony Li

Re: Dialogue Scaling Question

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

There's no automatic splitting. You can manually split the text at design time by putting pipe characters ( | ) where you want to split the text. Then, in the Dialogue Editor select Menu > Split Nodes On Pipes.

Or you can put the subtitle text in a scroll rect. See the WRPG dialogue UI prefab for an example of this.

Or you can make a subclass of StandardUISubtitlePanel and use your subclass on the subtitle panel instead of the original class. In the subclass, override the ShowSubtitle() method to split the text and show it in multiple stages, only calling OnContinue() when the last text fragment has been shown.
JamesTFreaknKirk

Post by JamesTFreaknKirk »

Oh Okay! I think im going to try and use the pipe method, but Im having trouble finding Menu -> split nodes on pipes :shock: . is this in the editor that I use to create the conversations?
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Yes, it's in the Dialogue Editor:

splitPipes.png
splitPipes.png (53.05 KiB) Viewed 5959 times