Custom Lua Function Info causing Unity to crash

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
davidValdes

Custom Lua Function Info causing Unity to crash

Post by davidValdes »

Hi there,

I''m fairly new to Unity but have been enjoying using the Dialogue System for the development of my RPG game. A problem has developed with the Custom Lua Function Info asset, which now instantly crashes Unity when I try to either use the current instance of Custom Lua Function Info or create a new one. I have tried updating Unity, deleting and creating a new blank Custom Lua Function Info asset, restarting the computer, closing and reopening Unity etc.

Attached is the crash report which suggests the problem has to do with accessing bad memory and the Unity console suggests a Stack Overflow exception, neither of which I can seem to get to the bottom of. As I said, I'm new to Unity.

Any help in this matter would be much appreciated?
Tony Li

Re: Custom Lua Function Info causing Unity to crash

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Would you please do the following:

1. Close Unity and reopen it. This will clear out the Editor.log file and start a fresh one.

2. As soon as Unity crashes, get the Editor.log file and email it to tony (at) pixelcrushers.com. The location of this file is specified in: Log Files
davidValdes

Post by davidValdes »

Hi Tony,

Thanks for getting back so quickly. We've figured out the problem here. I'm using the Sirenix.OdinInspector in the game as well and I think the problem is a bug on their end. Attached you'll find the result of opening the Custom Lua Function Info just before it crashes.
image.png
image.png (201.59 KiB) Viewed 9589 times
This how we solved the problem - it was just a case of commenting out the Tooltip and the Helpbox. It's all working fine now.
Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 15.35.59.png
Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 15.35.59.png (266.39 KiB) Viewed 9589 times
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Ah, that's the known [HelpBox] issue. It affects components that use the [HelpBox] attribute, including CustomLuaFunctionInfo. I've contacted Sirenix about it.