Using continue button with Bark UI

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
ds2497

Using continue button with Bark UI

Post by ds2497 »

Hi there,

I'm using Bark UI for character dialogue, and I'm wondering what the workflow would be for the Continue Button. Since the Continue Button is not inside the Dialogue UI, I'm unsure about the correct workflow.

Alternatively, I would like to know how to check if the current line is the last line of the dialogue. Currently, I'm maintaining the Continue Button with Dialogue System Events, and everything works fine. However, I am unable to skip the Continue Button for the last line of a dialogue. If I can detect the last line, I can use Dialogue System Events with a custom method to handle the Continue Button.
Tony Li

Re: Using continue button with Bark UI

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

To set up a bark UI to use a continue button, tick the Standard Bark UI component's Wait For Continue Button checkbox. Then add a continue button, and configure its OnClick() event to call StandardBarkUI.OnContinue.

To check if the current line is the last line of dialogue, check if DialogueManager.currentConversationState.hasAnyResponses is false.
ds2497

Post by ds2497 »

It works! Thank you so much!
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Happy to help!
zzzz

Post by zzzz »

Tony Li wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:55 pm Hi,

To set up a bark UI to use a continue button, tick the Standard Bark UI component's Wait For Continue Button checkbox. Then add a continue button, and configure its OnClick() event to call StandardBarkUI.OnContinue.

To check if the current line is the last line of dialogue, check if DialogueManager.currentConversationState.hasAnyResponses is false.
Firstly thank you for the tool and support.

I've been trying to configure a NPC that barks and also uses the barkUI for conversations. I followed these instructions, but after the first line of dialogue, the bark UI is no longer visible. The only code inside StandardBarkUI.OnContinue is:

Code: Select all

public virtual void OnContinue()
        {
            Hide();
        }
so I'm a bit lost.
Not sure if my setup is correct (I'm using TopDownEngine), I checked the EventSystem in Debug and it won't select the barkUI's Continue button as the active game object for some reason (works in other subtitle panels). Note that WaitForContinueButton is toggled on when conversations are started to allow both barking and using the barkUI as a subtitle panel. Do I need to configure something elsewhere?

Many thanks
-zzzz
Attachments
bark continue button config
bark continue button config
Screen Shot 2024-02-24 at 1.47.43 AM.png (93.07 KiB) Viewed 117 times
bark UI config
bark UI config
Screen Shot 2024-02-24 at 1.47.14 AM.png (107.71 KiB) Viewed 117 times
the barking NPC gameobject and children
the barking NPC gameobject and children
Screen Shot 2024-02-24 at 1.45.43 AM.png (42.11 KiB) Viewed 117 times
The DialogZone GameObject
The DialogZone GameObject
Screen Shot 2024-02-24 at 1.43.30 AM.png (240.33 KiB) Viewed 117 times
ongoing dialogue
ongoing dialogue
Screen Shot 2024-02-24 at 1.25.24 AM.png (33.24 KiB) Viewed 117 times
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

I recommend using an overhead subtitle panel for conversations: How To: Show Overhead Conversation Bubble Text. It'll make things much simpler in the long run. You can still use a bark UI for barks.