Conversations missing from dialogue editor

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
lemonjolly_anna

Conversations missing from dialogue editor

Post by lemonjolly_anna »

Hello!

I have conversations listed when viewing the dialogue database in the inspector, but when I open up the database > conversation tab there's nothing in the drop down.
Screenshot 2023-05-17 134406.jpg
Screenshot 2023-05-17 134406.jpg (57.95 KiB) Viewed 518 times
Screenshot 2023-05-17 134346.jpg
Screenshot 2023-05-17 134346.jpg (64.33 KiB) Viewed 518 times
Thanks!
Tony Li

Re: Conversations missing from dialogue editor

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

What version of the Dialogue System are you using?

It may be that the conversations' titles are blank. Using the Default Inspector view, please expand Element 0. Then expand Fields. Expand the Title field, and make sure the Value field is not blank. Then close and reopen the Dialogue Editor window.

If that doesn't help, please let me know if the Console window has any errors or warnings.
lemonjolly_anna

Version: 2.2.37

No joy with the title values unfortunately! :(

As a plan B, how do I use the auto back up dialogue database?
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Here are two ways you could use the auto-backup copy of the database:

1. Duplicate it, rename the duplicate, and assign it to the Dialogue Manager's Initial Database field.

2. Or go to that folder in Windows Explorer or Mac Finder (i.e., outside of Unity). Delete the original database asset. Keep the .meta file. Then copy the auto-backup file and rename it to exactly the same name as the original database file that you deleted. When you return to Unity, all references to the original database (e.g., Dialogue Manager's Initial Database field) will point to the copy you just made.

If that doesn't help -- for example, if the auto-backup has the same issue -- are there any errors or warnings in the Console window? Feel free to email a copy of the misbehaving database to tony (at) pixelcrushers.com. I'll be happy to take a look.

I just thought of one more thing: On the Dialogue Editor's Conversations tab, is there anything in the filter bar to the right of the conversation title dropdown? If so, this could be filtering the dropdown to the point where it's filtered everything out and there's nothing to show.
lemonjolly_anna

No errors in the console!

I think I found a repro:
  • create a conversation
  • rename the conversation Field/Title
Screenshot 2023-05-23 080033.jpg
Screenshot 2023-05-23 080033.jpg (15.19 KiB) Viewed 469 times
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

There's the problem. Conversations require a Title field. Otherwise they won't show up in the Dialogue Editor's conversation titles dropdown, and the Dialogue System won't be able to play them from a Dialogue System Trigger since Dialogue System Triggers reference conversations by title.

Did you intentionally rename the Title field, or did you only do this as a way to recreate the same problem with the dropdown menu?
lemonjolly_anna

I did yep!

So the Title field is like the conversation's id?
Should I not be renaming each conversation to something more indicative? At the moment all the conversation's have the same Title field value of "Title".
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

The Title field's title should be "Title", but you can change the field value to whatever you want. The best way to do this is to inspect the conversation in the Dialogue Editor's Conversations tab. Then select Menu > Conversation Properties. In the Inspector view, set the title.