How to make player responses save to dialogue history, but not appear the same way NPC responses do

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
schmittywarbenjensen

How to make player responses save to dialogue history, but not appear the same way NPC responses do

Post by schmittywarbenjensen »

I can make player choices appear in the dialogue history along with NPC responses, but after you pick a choice the response appears like the NPC ones do for 2 seconds before you get to the NPC response. How do I make that not happen, but still show in the previous dialogue?
Tony Li

Re: How to make player responses save to dialogue history, but not appear the same way NPC responses do

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

I'm not exactly sure what you mean, so please correct me if I misunderstood.

If you're using a dialogue UI that accumulates subtitle text, such as the Runic or WRPG prefabs, then if you want to make the player's response text appear immediately without waiting 2 seconds, set the Dialogue Manager GameObject's Display Settings > Camera & Cutscene Settings > Default Player Sequence to: Continue()@0

If you don't want the player's response text to appear at all after the player clicks a response button, UNtick the Dialogue Manager's Subtitle Settings > Show PC Subtitles During Line. If you're using a script similar to ConversationLogger.cs to accumulate dialogue history, the script will still receive OnConversationLine() messages.
schmittywarbenjensen

Re: How to make player responses save to dialogue history, but not appear the same way NPC responses do

Post by schmittywarbenjensen »

It's hard for me to put into words, but I basically want the second one. The issue is if I turn off show PC subtitle text, it doesn't save it to reminder text. And if I turn on show PC subtitle text, allow PC subtitles to be used as reminder, and turn on skip PC subtitle, it doesn't save to reminder text either.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Would you please post screenshots or mock-up images of what's happening now and what you would like to happen instead?