Quest system conditionals

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
PeterParked

Quest system conditionals

Post by PeterParked »

I'm using DS 1.6.2, and I'm having an issue with something that worked fine before. Hopefully it's just user error.

I have a dialogue option that I would like to appear only when a quest has not been assigned Here's the setup in Articy:Draft.

It's importing correctly, as far as I can tell:

And the quest is definitely unassigned at runtime:

However the dialogue option does not display in the dialogue window at runtime like I think it should, and when I use the Watches tab, it says the quest state is actually nil (although I may be interpreting that incorrectly)

Tony Li

Re: Quest system conditionals

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Please temporarily set the Dialogue Manager's Debug Level to Info. Then start the game. The Console should log all the dialogue database info that it's loading into memory. Do you see a line for the "IrisProblem" quest?
PeterParked

Post by PeterParked »

Please temporarily set the Dialogue Manager's Debug Level to Info. Then start the game. The Console should log all the dialogue database info that it's loading into memory. Do you see a line for the "IrisProblem" quest?
I see it logging as an item:

Dialogue System: Lua(Item["IrisProblem"] = { Status = "", Name = "IrisProblem", Pictures = "[]", Description = "Iris wants to make things better. I'm going to think up some advice....", Is_Item = false, Articy_Id = "0x01000000000014BE", Technical_Name = "Ntt_824F8827", IsPlayer = false, IsNPC = false, IsQuest = true, IsItem = false, Track = false, Trackable = true, Entry_Count = 0, Entry_1 = "", Entry_1_State = 2, State = unassigned, Success_Description = "", Failure_Description = "", Abandonable = true, })
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

I believe 1.6.1.1 introduced a bug in the way quest states are converted from articy. I'll confirm this and send you a patch later today.
PeterParked

Post by PeterParked »

Thank you, much appreciated!
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

I haven't been able to reproduce the issue yet.

I'll bold what concerned me in the line you posted:

Dialogue System: Lua(Item["IrisProblem"] = { Status = "", Name = "IrisProblem", Pictures = "[]", Description = "Iris wants to make things better. I'm going to think up some advice....", Is_Item = false, Articy_Id = "0x01000000000014BE", Technical_Name = "Ntt_824F8827", IsPlayer = false, IsNPC = false, IsQuest = true, IsItem = false, Track = false, Trackable = true, Entry_Count = 0, Entry_1 = "", Entry_1_State = 2, State = unassigned, Success_Description = "", Failure_Description = "", Abandonable = true, })

Please compare it to this example:

Dialogue System: Lua(Item["Assassinate_the_Emperor"] = { Status = "", Name = "Assassinate the Emperor", Pictures = "[]", Description = "The PC is a lieutenant sent to assassinate the evil Emperor and liberate the star system.", Is_Item = false, Success_Description = "", Failure_Description = "", State = "unassigned", Articy_Id = "0x010000000000011F", Technical_Name = "FFr_1609C481", reward = "myrrh", Entry_1_State = "active", Entry_1 = "This is entry number 1.", Entry_Count = 1, })

In your example the State's value isn't wrapped in quotes ( " ): State = unassigned
whereas in the second example, it's in quotes: State = "unassigned"

In your example, State is set to the value of the Lua variable named unassigned. Since there's no variable by this name, State is assigned nil. In the second example, State is set to the string "unassigned", which is what's supposed to happen.

In articy:draft, I set up my State (and Entry_1_State) properties as Dropdowns. How are yours set up?

What version of articy:draft are you using?

I still have an update coming out for the articy converter that addresses two issues:
  • When converting dropdowns as strings (rather than index numbers, which was the only option before), the converter was off by one.
  • Condition nodes with more than one true/false output only converted the first true and first false connection.
If there's another issue with quest states, I'd like to get that into the update, too.
supadupa64

Post by supadupa64 »

Couldn't you just add a conversation trigger and set the condition to unassigned?
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

In a pinch, a runtime trigger would get the job done as a workaround. But I really need to make sure it imports cleanly and perfectly from Nevigo's articy:draft.
PeterParked

Post by PeterParked »

Thanks for your efforts on this.
What version of articy:draft are you using?
I'm using Articy:Draft Steam Edition 2.4.6
In articy:draft, I set up my State (and Entry_1_State) properties as Dropdowns. How are yours set up?
My state properties are also set as a dropdown, attempting to follow these instructions.
http://www.pixelcrushers.com/dialogue_s ... draft.html

This latest time I attempted to add quote marks to the display name, to see if that would help, but I'm not able to add them to the technical name:
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

I haven't been able to reproduce the missing quotes issue.

Would it be possible for you to send an example XML file that demonstrates the problem when imported into Unity?