Problem With Dialogue Bubble & Halted Convo

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
jessienebulous

Problem With Dialogue Bubble & Halted Convo

Post by jessienebulous »

My problem is that when I approach the NPC a small, textless bubble appears on my character. It disappears once the conversation starts. But I get one exchange into the conversation and it just stops, and I have to press escape to exit the conversation. I'm not getting any console errors, it just isn't working. Any ideas?
Tony Li

Re: Problem With Dialogue Bubble & Halted Convo

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

If that bubble is semi-transparent and roughly octagonal, it's probably the selector UI's reticle:

reticle.png
reticle.png (216.79 KiB) Viewed 419 times

If so, you can remove it. Duplicate the prefab named "Basic Standard UI Selector Elements". Open your duplicate. Expand the hierarchy and remove the child GameObjects named "Reticle In Range" and "Reticle Out of Range". Then inspect your Dialogue Manager GameObject, and assign your duplicate prefab to the Instantiate Prefabs component's Prefabs list in place of the original Basic Standard UI Selector Elements.

For the second issue, it sounds like it's showing the player's line as a response menu. In the Dialogue Editor, is that node colored blue? (By default, player nodes are blue.) You should be able to click on the response to advance the conversation. Or, if you want to automatically show the node as a subtitle, tick the Manager GameObject's Display Settings > Subtitle Settings > Show PC Subtitles During Line, and UNtick Input Settings > Always Force Response Menu.

If that's not the issue, then check if you've set Subtitle Settings > Continue Button to a mode such as Always that requires a continue button click. If so, it will wait until the player clicks a continue button. If your dialogue UI doesn't have a continue button, it will wait forever. However, the Esc key is a cancel key that will cancel subtitles and response menus. If you don't want the player to be able to cancel this way, inspect the Dialogue Manager's Input Settings > Cancel Subtitle Input and Cancel Conversation Input. Set the Key dropdowns to None.
jessienebulous

Post by jessienebulous »

Thanks! This was very helpful.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Glad to help!