Cinemachine Target Groups

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
alexjet1000

Cinemachine Target Groups

Post by alexjet1000 »

Hi!

Context: Im making a 3rd person rpg. You can talk to several characters in town. Right now i have a camera thats under player hierarchy that focuses on the non player during conversation.
This is not very good because sometimes the position of the camera depending on the players orientation is not very appealing. Also id like to focus the player too. Something like an in between target.

Is there a good way to ensure camera focuses on actors in an good looking-organic way?

I thought on using Cinemachine target groups components to have better control of this.
I wonder if there is any previous insight on using the Dialogue System with Cinemachine target groups before making my own scripts.

Any other suggestions to achieve good results? (focusing on player and the other actor)
Tony Li

Re: Cinemachine Target Groups

Post by Tony Li »

If you can't guarantee the characters' positions at the start of the conversation, Cinemachine is a good choice. If you use Cinemachine, I recommend setting up a vcam for each NPC or conversation. Then use a Cinemachine Priority On Dialogue Event component on the NPC or a CinemachinePriority() sequencer command in your conversation to activate the appropriate vcam.