Dialogue System for Unity 2.2.7 Released

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
Tony Li

Dialogue System for Unity 2.2.7 Released

Post by Tony Li »

Version 2.2.7 of the Dialogue System for Unity is now available on the Unity Asset Store!

This is a huge update. Some of the highlights are:
  • Scene events. Dialogue entry nodes now support UnityEvents that you can hook up to scene objects.
  • Addressables support. No need to do anything special. Just tick the "Addressables" checkbox in the Dialogue System's Welcome window. Sequencer commands such as AudioWait() will automatically use addressables if they exist.
  • Ink support. Major improvements to the Ink integration. This update also includes updated Twine import.
  • Sequence, Conditions, & Script icons. Dialogue entry nodes now show icons so you can quickly see which ones have Sequences, Conditions, or Scripts:
    nodeIcons.png
    nodeIcons.png (27.3 KiB) Viewed 2164 times
    If you hover the mouse over an icon, a tooltip shows you the content; no need to inspect the node in the Inspector view to see it. (Thanks go to @digiwombat for this and a bunch of other UI suggestions.)
Release Notes:
Core:
  • Changed: Localization Export/Import now exports Actor column to identify each line's speaker.
  • Added: Dialogue entry nodes now have optional UnityEvents that can operate on scene objects.
  • Added: Addressables support.
  • Improved: Custom Lua Function Info can now use forward slashes to make submenus.
  • Improved: Quest tracker script methods are now overridable.
  • Improved: Added DeselectPreviousOnPointerEnter component.
  • Improved: Added InputDeviceManager.isInput Allowed.
  • Improved: AudioWait() sequencer command will now use Audio Source on child object if present.
  • Fixed: TextMeshProTypewriterEffect Auto Scroll Settings updated.
  • Fixed: When subtitle panels were configured to accumulate text, typewriter effect accounted for <color=#rrggbbaa> tags but not <color=name> tags.
  • Fixed: Subtitle panel could not auto-focus continue button in certain configurations.
  • Fixed: If OverrideDialogueUI pointed to a prefab and conversation started at non-START entry, timing issue would hide UI instead of showing it.
  • Fixed: Stopping conversation prematurely would not hide Dialogue Actors' external menu panels.
  • Fixed: DialogueSystemTrigger Pause / Show Cursor During Conversations now works even if trigger is not on actor or conversant.
  • Fixed: DialogueSystemTrigger Start Conversation action now provides correct conversation conversant when checking if conversation has valid entry.
  • Fixed: If using SimStatus with multiple simultaneous conversations, Dialog[] table now always points to the correct conversation.
  • Fixed: If Usable is disabled while Selector is selecting it, now hides selection UI.
  • Fixed: New Input System integration ignores joystick keycodes.
  • Fixed: New Input System could report ArgumentNullException in first frame on WebGL.
  • Text Tables: Added ability to import text table into another.
  • Save System: Changed: Savers' Save Across Scene Changes checkbox is now ticked by default.
  • Save System: DestructibleSaver.RecordDestruction is now public.
  • Save System: Added saveDataApplied C# event; added OnDataApplied() event to SaveSystemEvents.
  • Save System: Improved singleton management.
  • Save System: Fixed: LoadEnded event is always called when scene loads ends, not just if events were assigned at design time.
  • Cinemachine: Updated CinemachinePriority() sequencer command 'cut' option to work with latest Cinemachine.
  • Timeline: Updated Timeline() sequencer command GameObject binding for index values used by latest Timeline.
  • Dialogue Editor:
    • Nodes now show icons when they have a Sequence, Conditions, or Script instead of appending info to text label.
    • When dragging multiple nodes with grid snapping on, selected nodes not under mouse cursor are now also snapped to grid when drag ends.
    • Misc. improvements to dialogue entry inspector.
    • Watches > Add Runtime Variable & Add All Runtime Variables now automatically refresh the variable list first.
Third Party Support:
  • Adventure Creator:
    Updated for AC 1.71.
    AC Lua functions are now in '...' Custom dropdowns.
    Can load action list assets from Addressables.
  • Articy: Fixed: Some HTML codes were not being converted to characters.
  • Behavior Designer: Lua functions now in dropdowns. Added Lua functions to target specific behavior tree group IDs.
  • Corgi: Updated for 6.4; Added ConversationZone.DisallowMovement/UndoDisallowMovement methods;
  • DialogueSystemCorgiEventListener manages handoff between dialogue UI and Corgi pause menu.
  • i2 Localization: Automatically translates \n into newlines when importing back into DS.
  • Ink:
    Added option to read actor names from lines.
    Added option to trim or leave whitespace.
    Knot/stitch picker dropdown now includes included files.
    Uses real player actor, not PlayerSpeaker, for subtitles.
    Added DialogueSystemInkIntegration.lastStartingPoint.
    Added GetActorsInStory().
    Fixed transform assignments to Sequence() functions.
  • Invector: Updated for 2.5.2.
  • Look Animator: Added 'none' option to LookAnimator() sequencer command.
  • Rog: Updated for 1.55.
  • TopDown Engine: Updated Disable TDE Input During Conversations to better handle certain setups.
  • Twine: Fixed: Links with the same name but in different nodes are now handled as separate links.
  • UCC: Updated for 2.2.2.
  • uMMORPG: Updated for 1.190.
jrbourne

Re: Dialogue System for Unity 2.2.7 Released

Post by jrbourne »

Hello Tony:

I've been attempting to get Dialogue System 2.2.9 to run with the most recent version of the Ultimate Character Controller (2.2.5). I followed the directions on: https://www.pixelcrushers.com/dialogue_ ... l/ucc.html
but I'm getting three errors when loading DS 2.2.9 and UCC 2.2.5. Here are the errors:

Assets/Pixel Crushers/Common/Third Party Support/Opsive UCC Support/Scripts/UCCSaver.cs(319,46): error CS1503: Argument 1: cannot convert from 'Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Inventory.ItemType' to 'int'

Assets/Pixel Crushers/Common/Third Party Support/Opsive UCC Support/Scripts/UCCSaver.cs(319,56): error CS1503: Argument 2: cannot convert from 'int' to 'Opsive.Shared.Inventory.IItemIdentifier'

Assets/Pixel Crushers/Dialogue System/Third Party Support/Opsive UCC Support/Scripts/Lua/UCCLua.cs(299,47): error CS1501: No overload for method 'RemoveItem' takes 4 arguments

Are there any solutions that I have missed about how to correct these problems?

Thanks

John
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi John,

Are you using the latest Dialogue System integration currently hosted on Opsive's site?
jrbourne

Post by jrbourne »

Hi Tony:

Yes, the download from the opsive site was the one that I used. I got it from this URL below and selected for the UCC (which I updated first).

https://opsive.com/support/documentatio ... ue-system/

I have tried twice now (starting over) and have gotten the three errors each time.

Thanks ... I look forward to your advice....

John

p.s. I have Unity 2020.1.2.f1, running MacBook Pro (all updated), dialogue system 2.2.9, UUC: 2.2.5, behavior designer: 1.6.5

Hello Tony:

I've been attempting to get Dialogue System 2.2.9 to run with the most recent version of the Ultimate Character Controller (2.2.5). I followed the directions on: https://www.pixelcrushers.com/dialogue_ ... l/ucc.html
but I'm getting three errors when loading DS 2.2.9 and UCC 2.2.5. Here are the errors:

Assets/Pixel Crushers/Common/Third Party Support/Opsive UCC Support/Scripts/UCCSaver.cs(319,46): error CS1503: Argument 1: cannot convert from 'Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Inventory.ItemType' to 'int'

Assets/Pixel Crushers/Common/Third Party Support/Opsive UCC Support/Scripts/UCCSaver.cs(319,56): error CS1503: Argument 2: cannot convert from 'int' to 'Opsive.Shared.Inventory.IItemIdentifier'

Assets/Pixel Crushers/Dialogue System/Third Party Support/Opsive UCC Support/Scripts/Lua/UCCLua.cs(299,47): error CS1501: No overload for method 'RemoveItem' takes 4 arguments

Are there any solutions that I have missed about how to correct these problems?

Thanks

John
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

It turns out that UCC 2.2.5 may also need an integration update. If so, I'll update it today, post it here, and send it to Opsive for their site.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

jrbourne

Post by jrbourne »

Hi Tony:

I loaded the patch, but no joy yet. :-) Now rather than three errors I have four..... I'm hoping you can find the problem....

Thanks,

John

p.s. here are the errors from the console:

Assets/Pixel Crushers/Common/Third Party Support/Opsive UCC Support/Scripts/UCCSaver.cs(230,31): error CS1501: No overload for method 'RemoveAllItems' takes 1 arguments

Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Are you sure you're using UCC 2.2.5? Try downloading and importing the latest Dialogue System integration package from Opsive's site. They updated it this morning.
jrbourne

Post by jrbourne »

Thanks Tony:

You were right - I had an earlier version of ucc loaded - I had download and imported, but somehow, the update didn't work.

It now looks like most things are loading just fine (UCC, dialogue system, Behavior designer) but I am now getting error with the Ink Support in the Dialogue System.

The 5 errors I get are from the Ink Support scripts: ....error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'Story' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

This sounds like a simple error - how do I fix that? Maybe there is a new Ink script update somewhere......?

John

------------------

I loaded the patch, but no joy yet. :-) Now rather than three errors I have four..... I'm hoping you can find the problem....

Thanks,

John

p.s. here are the errors from the console:

Assets/Pixel Crushers/Common/Third Party Support/Opsive UCC Support/Scripts/UCCSaver.cs(230,31): error CS1501: No overload for method 'RemoveAllItems' takes 1 arguments

Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

'Story' is part of the Ink integration. It sounds like maybe you need to import Inkle's Ink Integration in to the project.