Purpose of some "Standard UI Subtitle Panel" features

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
Alatriste

Purpose of some "Standard UI Subtitle Panel" features

Post by Alatriste »

Hi Tony,

I was checking the reference page of the Standard UI Subtitle Panel as I want to know exactly what each option does, and I think some pieces of information are not clear enough.

For instance:

- Only Show NPC Portraits... not sure what exactly the purpose of this feature is.
- The navigation part I think is more for devices such as joysticks or controllers?
- Visibility->Start State: Again, what's the purpose of this feature?

I think adding some examples in the documentation page would help, as you did in other areas.

Thanks! ;)
Tony Li

Re: Purpose of some "Standard UI Subtitle Panel" features

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,
Alatriste wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:56 am- Only Show NPC Portraits... not sure what exactly the purpose of this feature is.
Doesn't show portrait images for Player actors. (That is, actors whose Is Player field is True.) Many western RPGs work this way. The WRPG template and the Runic dialogue UI use this option.
Alatriste wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:56 am- The navigation part I think is more for devices such as joysticks or controllers?
Yes. Joysticks can only navigate if a UI element is already selected. When you press a direction on the joystick, Unity UI moves in that direction from the current selection to a new selection. The Navigation options ensure that there is always a current selection.
Alatriste wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:56 am- Visibility->Start State: Again, what's the purpose of this feature?
This is the state that the panel should be in when it starts. For example, if it's set to Closed, the panel will automatically hide itself when the scene starts. With subtitle panels and menu panels it's not as important because the Standard Dialogue UI will tell all subtitle panels and menu panels to hide themselves anyway when it starts.
Alatriste wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:56 amI think adding some examples in the documentation page would help, as you did in other areas.
Will do. I'll add some examples in the next update.
Alatriste

Post by Alatriste »

Thanks for the explanation, Tony!
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Happy to explain!