VN Framework: Editting the UI

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
Alatriste

VN Framework: Editting the UI

Post by Alatriste »

Hi Tony,

This is driving me crazy... I'm trying to edit the UI used in VN framework but I don't even know how to start.

1. The VN framework uses the Basic Standard UI prefabs and there are instantiated every time, so I cannot edit it from the game editor.

2. If I try to create a new UI prefab, the Dialogue Manager prefab is still calling the Basic Standard UI, even when I already removed the files from the script.

3. How can I customize my UI using, for instance, the VN Template Standard Dialogue UI? Or even better, how can I use another UI from another project and use it with the VN framework?

I read the documentation and I think is missing a bit more detail on the customization part, as this framework needs some special requirements to properly work. :)

Thanks!
Tony Li

Re: VN Framework: Editting the UI

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Drag the VN Template Standard Dialogue UI prefab (or whatever prefab you want to start with) into the Hierarchy as a child of the Dialogue Manager's Canvas. Then assign the scene instance to the Dialogue Manager's Dialogue UI field.

If you're in the Start scene, you can temporarily deactivate the Visual Novel Menu Canvas so you can see the dialogue UI. (Remember to reactivate it before saving your scene.)

After you've customized the UI, you can leave it in the Canvas or save it as a new prefab. If you save it as a new prefab, remove it from the Canvas and assign the prefab to the Dialogue Manager's Dialogue UI field. It will ask if you want to add it as an instance inside the Canvas or instantiate the prefab at runtime. It's your choice, but I prefer to instantiate it at runtime.
Alatriste

Post by Alatriste »

I'll try that! Thanks Tony!
Alatriste

Post by Alatriste »

Thanks again Tony! I managed to make it work! :)
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Great! Sorry about driving you crazy for a while there. I'm interested to learn how your project turns out.