Understanding Conversation with multiple characters

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
Alatriste

Understanding Conversation with multiple characters

Post by Alatriste »

Hi,

This is something that is puzzling to me now that I'm trying to play a conversation with more than 2 characters in a conversation. When I set it up I usually select the player actor and then a random second character among the ones will be involved in the dialogue. In my project there is more than one player (different characters along the game are controlled by the player) therefore I have to set up several of those actors as "players", so DS can identify them during the dialogue, especially for the choosing answers parts. During a conversation, there is only one player active -I don't know if that can be changed in real time-.

The problem is that no matter the characters I set up, at the beginning of the conversation, my main actor player may not be the right one until he delivers his first line. For example, in a dialogue using the Menu field, the wrong player actor shows up until one of the options is chosen. After that, the right character is displayed.

The way I'd expect it to work is that when I set up the conversation, the 2 characters would be at least the first ones talking. Then along the conversation, other characters can show up as needed if they are set up in the nodes. I guess one of the problems is that DS cannot foresee when a different actor is going to be active before the node plays. I wonder if this could be modified.

Thanks!
Tony Li

Re: Understanding Conversation with multiple characters

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

This is fixed in patch 20180614. I just PM'ed you your access info again in case you need it.
Alatriste

Re: Understanding Conversation with multiple characters

Post by Alatriste »

Thanks Tony, I'll check it out this evening! :)