articy instructions not converted into groups?

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
lcn_mc

Re: articy instructions not converted into groups?

Post by lcn_mc »

Tony Li wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 8:28 pm Hi,

If you can show an example, or if you'd like me to send you an example articy project, let me know.
Good morning, Tony.

Interesting update. After booting up Unity today, I noticed that the dialogue to dialogue linking was now working, despite me not changing anything in either Articy nor Unity since writing my posts here yesterday. (I suppose, not unlike how rebooting a PC can mysteriously fix problems, Unity might be the same way.)

However, while dialogue to dialogue links are now working, using Articy's 'Jump' node to move to a different conversation is still broken. I'll include some screenshots from both Articy and Unity, showing a Jump Node and how it correctly links in Articy, but the 'Links To:' property in Unity (after the Articy export) is blank.
An example of the Jump Node in Articy, that links to the next conversation.
An example of the Jump Node in Articy, that links to the next conversation.
DialogueSystem_LinkExample_Articy-JumpNode.png (28.81 KiB) Viewed 122 times
The same Jump Node in Unity (after the export from Articy), where the "Links To' field is blank.
The same Jump Node in Unity (after the export from Articy), where the "Links To' field is blank.
DialogueSystem_LinkExample_Unity-JumpNode.png (19.05 KiB) Viewed 122 times
Absolutely no rush here, since I'm doing playtesting from the early parts of the game (this issue is only occurring in the latter part), and I'm also distracted by keeping an eye on my demo in Next Fest. Enjoy the Tribeca Festival!
_marc

Post by _marc »

No problem, enjoy :) Don't tell me you have the time to develop games in addition to the daily time spent on the support & continuous development of the Dialogue System?! :shock:
Where I live, there are only 24 hours per day :D :D :D
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

I’m very strict about the limited time I dedicate to game dev. Dialogue System and other assets take priority. But I always try to have an active project so I’m always dogfooding the assets. I won’t put out anything that I wouldn’t use myself.

Is your jump to a dialogue or dialogue fragment? My articy won’t let me jump to dialogues, only to fragments.
lcn_mc

Post by lcn_mc »

Tony Li wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 2:05 pm I’m very strict about the limited time I dedicate to game dev. Dialogue System and other assets take priority. But I always try to have an active project so I’m always dogfooding the assets. I won’t put out anything that I wouldn’t use myself.

Is your jump to a dialogue or dialogue fragment? My articy won’t let me jump to dialogues, only to fragments.
Ah, interesting suggestion. Yes, in the original setup, I had a jump linking to a Dialogue and not a Dialogue Fragment. (That link was what was working prior to me updating the Dialogue System, as mentioned.)

But now, after changing the jump to just link to the first Dialogue Fragment in the target Dialogue, the link works fine. Not going to complain. :)

For your awareness, there was nothing in Articy blocking me or stopping me from having a Jump Node link to a full Dialogue. Technically, you could have the Jump Node link to anything - even a Flow Fragment.

I'll update the few places I was using these jumps, and make a note in my personal GDD about this for the future.

Thanks for the help, Tony. :)
_marc

Post by _marc »

Tony Li wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 2:05 pm I won’t put out anything that I wouldn’t use myself.
Cool! :) I suppose this is one of the reason of the success and longevity of the Dialogue System. It's such a relief to be able to rely on a Unity plugin with such stability and long-term support, really.

For the next patch, feel free to include all scripts altered since the beginning of this thread (or even more) to make sure we have the same configuration.

I'll have another (very) little question for you about the localization importer but I'll start a new thread as it's not related to our subject here.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

lcn_mc wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 2:44 pm
Tony Li wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 2:05 pmIs your jump to a dialogue or dialogue fragment? My articy won’t let me jump to dialogues, only to fragments.
Ah, interesting suggestion. Yes, in the original setup, I had a jump linking to a Dialogue and not a Dialogue Fragment. (That link was what was working prior to me updating the Dialogue System, as mentioned.)
Huh, articy is letting me assign other types such as dialogues now. I don't know why it didn't before. I'll make sure this is working.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

This cumulative patch can be applied to DS version 2.2.46.1 and should fix both issues.

DS_ArticyCumulativePatch_2024-06-15.unitypackage
lcn_mc

Post by lcn_mc »

Thanks, Tony.

I've downloaded and applied the patch and everything looks to be working as expected.

If I run into any further issues regarding conversation linking (based on content built in and exported from Articy), I'll post here.

Enjoy the weekend!
_marc

Post by _marc »

Thank you for the patch! No more stack overflow exception, previous bugs are resolved and the linear mode seems to work rather well :)

I just have a weird thing in this simple situation:
2024_06_15_02.png
2024_06_15_02.png (55.87 KiB) Viewed 70 times
The dialogue systems logs this:
2024_06_15.png
2024_06_15.png (15.89 KiB) Viewed 70 times
The conversation stops at group[9], with no reason. If I add a group between group[12] and group[10], it works without stopping:
2024_06_15_03.png
2024_06_15_03.png (54.99 KiB) Viewed 70 times
Any idea of what's happening here?
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,
_marc wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 5:32 pmAny idea of what's happening here?
It's because of linear mode. Since node [9] is true, node [4] disallows the remaining siblings of its child group nodes (i.e., node [10]). This means node [9] can't go to node [10]. If we were to relax that rule, I think we'd get back to situations where it could get into an infinite loop.