articy instructions not converted into groups?

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
Tony Li

Re: articy instructions not converted into groups?

Post by Tony Li »

lcn_mc wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 12:17 pmI downloaded and installed the patch from earlier (for the Articy convo linking problem), and now I'm seeing ten compiler errors in the log and I'm unable to launch in Play Mode.
That patch builds on an earlier patch. Try import these 3 patches in this order:

DS_ArticyPatch_2024-06-05-A.unitypackage
DS_ArticyPatch_2024-06-11.unitypackage
DS_ModelPatch_2024-06-12.unitypackage

_marc wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 12:52 pm Thank you! We're almost there, there is no more stack overflow exception, but when the random int condition is finally evaluated to true...
Conversation_idling.png
...the Dialogue System does nothing more (the log you see above is the last I get). It doesn"t end the conversation, and it doesn't go to the next group neither (the jump).
If I replace the group node (the jump node) by a regular node, then it works.
In this case, my interpretation is that it should end the conversation, correct? Unless you foresee any issues with that, I'll make the change to make it do that.
_marc

Post by _marc »

I think it should follow the path whatever the next node type. In this exemple...
GroupNeverEvaluated.png
GroupNeverEvaluated.png (71.89 KiB) Viewed 109 times
...the group[8] and what's next is never evaluated.
lcn_mc

Post by lcn_mc »

Tony Li wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 1:26 pm
That patch builds on an earlier patch. Try import these 3 patches in this order:

DS_ArticyPatch_2024-06-05-A.unitypackage
DS_ArticyPatch_2024-06-11.unitypackage
DS_ModelPatch_2024-06-12.unitypackage
Thanks for the quick turnaround and for the patches! The compiler errors have all resolved, and I was able to successfully re-enter Play Mode.

I did some additional testing and, unfortunately, conversation to conversation linking, as well as using Articy's 'Jump' nodes to move to other conversations, still seems to be broken. If there's any specific setup you'd like me to test, such as triggering the conversations a certain way or making sure they contain specific content, let me know.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

lcn_mc wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 1:48 pmI did some additional testing and, unfortunately, conversation to conversation linking, as well as using Articy's 'Jump' nodes to move to other conversations, still seems to be broken. If there's any specific setup you'd like me to test, such as triggering the conversations a certain way or making sure they contain specific content, let me know.
Can you show how your conversation-to-conversation links are set up in articy? My test data has these conversations:
convLink1.png
convLink1.png (15.82 KiB) Viewed 81 times
convLink2.png
convLink2.png (75.39 KiB) Viewed 81 times
convLink3.png
convLink3.png (36.24 KiB) Viewed 81 times
And it imports into Unity like this:
convLink4.png
convLink4.png (18.51 KiB) Viewed 81 times
convlink5.png
convlink5.png (10.04 KiB) Viewed 81 times
DialogueA's A1 dialogue fragment links to DialogueB's <START> node.

The jump node in DialogueA goes to DialogueB's B1 dialogue fragment.
lcn_mc

Post by lcn_mc »

Tony Li wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 4:17 pm Can you show how your conversation-to-conversation links are set up in articy?
Tony,

I am using conversations as setup in your first example (convLink1.png), second example (convLink2.png), and I may be doing what's shown in the third example (convLink3.png), but I'm not 100% sure.

I just re-exported the Dialogue Database from Articy, imported it into Unity, and checked the Conversations view to see the nodes in the conversations with the links that are failing, and here's what I found:
  • In a 'dialogue linking to dialogue' situation (like in convLink1.png's example), the final node in the first conversation has nothing in its 'Links To' field if viewed in the Inspector. I would assume that the linked dialogue would appear here, in some form.
  • In a 'conversation step uses a Jump (in Articy) to connect to another dialogue' situation (like in convLink2.png's example), I'll see the expected 'Jump To: (dialogue name)' in the Title, but the 'Links To:' is blank.
It looks like the 'Links To:' data is not coming over from Articy, so when the conversation hits that step (and the link doesn't occur), the conversation ends, because it's the last step in that conversation.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Please give this one a try. If you can reproduce the conversation linking issue, please send me a reproduction articy project.

This is a differential patch, so it needs to be applied on top of the files provided above (i.e., not on a vanilla 2.2.4.61 installation).

DS_ArticyDiffPatch_2024-06-12.unitypackage

@_marc - I believe it should also work the way you're asking for.
lcn_mc

Post by lcn_mc »

Tony,

I applied the patch (as a differential, since I had previously applied those other ones per the earlier posts in the thread), re-exported then re-imported the file from Articy, and the conversation-to-conversation links still aren't working.

I'm afraid I can't sent over a repro project (because the project itself is too far along and getting close to Early Access release in a few months), but in my case here, I can work around this issue since I was using convo-to-convo linking only in a handful of instances.

I can say that it was definitely something that changed somewhere in Articy when I updated to the most-recent official release, as the linked convos were working as expected before then.

If there's anything else you'd like me to look at, like the importer settings for Articy files, or how the convos are specifically linked in Articy and what content the nodes have, let me know.

Thanks for the help regardless, too.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

If you can show an example, or if you'd like me to send you an example articy project, let me know.
_marc

Post by _marc »

Hi Tony,

Note sure if you changed something in the last patch
Tony Li wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 6:16 pmDS_ArticyDiffPatch_2024-06-12.unitypackage
concerning our problem , but in case of a "yes":
2024_06_13.png
2024_06_13.png (59.86 KiB) Viewed 57 times
The stack overflow exception is back: after jumping to the simstatus node and blocking on its condition, it keeps evaluating the "try again" group node (when it should stop the conversation because it has reached the end of a path, linear mode activated).

Hang in there! :)
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Thanks for your patience. I'm out of the office today (showing a game at the Tribeca Festival) but I'll get back to this first thing tomorrow morning. I'm guessing that I once again missed a file when exporting, since that test case doesn't throw a stack overflow in my dev branch.