How to use the menu system that is on the extras page

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
Tony Li

Re: How to use the menu system that is on the extras page

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Please see: How To: Fix Selector and Proximity Selector Issues. Try setting Max Selection Distance to 9999. If that doesn't fix it, go through the steps in this link.
Bond of Blood

Post by Bond of Blood »

Ok that worked thank you. I am still having trouble understanding the inventory engine though. The video they made really doesn't help me. I don't know how to make my character pick up say money and make that go into the money inventory. Or really how to make anything. The main thing right now is money, but clothes and weapons maybe needed later.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

For Inventory Engine, play with their Rogue demo. In that demo, you can pick up apples, bombs, armor, and weapons.. Money is another item type, like apples.
Bond of Blood

Post by Bond of Blood »

If I wanted to click a button and move to another scene with a set spawn point how do I do that. Like the button is on a UI not an object like say you were in a mini game so the character is technically not there.
Bond of Blood

Post by Bond of Blood »

Also for some reason my game does not pause when I open the inventory anymore and I don't get why. Also I don't remember how to create that asset input thing so I can convert an old input system thing to a new one. like it has say buttons 1-9 but it is done with key codes I don't know how to make that in the new system.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,
Bond of Blood wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:51 pmIf I wanted to click a button and move to another scene with a set spawn point how do I do that. Like the button is on a UI not an object like say you were in a mini game so the character is technically not there.
Add a ScenePortal component to your UI Button. Configure the Button's OnClick() event to call ScenePortal.UsePortal. Set the ScenePortal's Destination Scene Name and Spawnpoint Name.
Bond of Blood wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:13 amAlso for some reason my game does not pause when I open the inventory anymore and I don't get why. Also I don't remember how to create that asset input thing so I can convert an old input system thing to a new one. like it has say buttons 1-9 but it is done with key codes I don't know how to make that in the new system.
To create a new input asset, right-click in the project view. Then find the menu item from the context menu.

For the pause issue, look back in your version control history to identify what changed, so you can change it back.
Bond of Blood

Post by Bond of Blood »

Ok so my issue still is I don't know how to make a button press work in the new system when it was made in the old like it uses keydown ill post a picture of the code. I am sorry for the dumb questions but I am super new at programming and this new input system is really over my head.
Attachments
image (9).png
image (9).png (146.03 KiB) Viewed 402 times
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

If you're using UI Button Key Trigger, you can set the Key dropdown and the Dialogue System will do its best to translate the Key's key code to a keyboard input in the Input System.

If you prefer to define an action in your Input System input actions asset, make sure to register the action name with the Dialogue System as described in this video: Video: New Input System

Then you can use the action name in the UI Button Key Trigger's Button Name field.
Bond of Blood

Post by Bond of Blood »

Ok so I changed it to the new input system and it works kind of like the controls work and it does send me to another scene but when in the other scene the cursor problem happens again where it is on screen and the dialogue system does not work anymore and wont open chats anymore. I have no idea what to do at all.
Bond of Blood

Post by Bond of Blood »

Also I want it to play the loading screen when doing any scene transitions.