[SOLVED] Automatically hide an answer already made.

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
Tony Li

Re: [SOLVED] Automatically hide an answer already made.

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,
(And sorry for the delay in your post appearing here. The forum was set to require moderator approval of new users' first posts to reduce spam. Other anti-spam measures are in place, so I just now disabled that setting.)

That's a really good question. The short answer is to use this format when you know a node may be linked from another conversation:

Code: Select all

(Conversation[42].Dialog[56].SimStatus ~= "WasDisplayed")
where 42 (for example) is the conversation ID of node 56's conversation.

I'll provide the long answer in the next post.
Tony Li

Re: [SOLVED] Automatically hide an answer already made.

Post by Tony Li »

The long answer:

The Dialogue System's internal data structure is based on Chat Mapper. It's robust and proven (which is why I chose it), but it does have a quirk with the Dialog[#] table.

Internally, SimStatus values are stored in a tiered set of tables:

Conversation[conversationID].Dialog[dialogueEntryID].SimStatus

The Dialog[#] table is merely an alias for the current dialogue entry's conversation.

Let's say conversation 1 - dialogue entry node 3 (aka 1.3) has a link to conversation 42 - dialogue entry node 56 (aka 42.56).

When the Dialogue System gets to 1.3, it evaluates the conditions of all of its links. It's currently in conversation 1, so the Dialog[] table refers to conversation 1. However, the link points to 42.56. In this case, you can't use "Dialog[56]" by itself because the Dialogue System will think you're talking about Conversation[1].Dialog[56]. Instead, you need to use "Conversation[42].Dialog[56]".

I prefer not to fiddle with ID numbers when possible. If I only need to remember the status of a few nodes, I'll usually turn off SimStatus on the Dialogue Manager and just define some variables instead. Then I can set the Conditions field to something more understandable to me, like:

Variable["insultedTheKing"] ~= true
and in the appropriate node I'll use Script field to set the variable true:

Variable["insultedTheKing"] = true