Ink integration - couple questions (actors etc.)

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
Tony Li

Re: Ink integration - couple questions (actors etc.)

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

I'm looking into this.

As a side question, would it be helpful to add an option that interprets the "Satoru" part of:

Code: Select all

Satoru: I need to talk with the herbalist. Where is he?
as the actor name so you don't have to include #Actor=Satoru?
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Specifying the actor name, and a few other tweaks, seems to be the best solution. Here's the updated example scene:

DS_Ink_Test_nehvaleem_2020-05-07.unitypackage

It requires the updated 2020-05-07 Ink integration available on the Extras page (direct download). Note that a new checkbox 'Actor Names Precede Lines' is ticked on the Dialogue System Ink Integration component. with this checkbox, you no longer need to use "# Actor=" tags. You can specify the actors just like you did in your example Ink story:

Satoru: Quiet! Are you the village leader?
nehvaleem

Post by nehvaleem »

Gee Thanks! It is awesome to see how quickly you respond with improvements & fixes. Keep it up!
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

The Extras page has an updated integration that now also shows included files' knots & stitches in the entrypoint dropdown.
nehvaleem

Post by nehvaleem »

Thanks again!

One more thing. Can you confirm, that currently it isn't possible to start a ink based conversation from a timeline? The StartConversationClip doesn't have all the ink related settings. Or am I missing something?
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Yes, that's correct. I'll add that ability in a future update. Technically you can still specify a story name, and it will start at the beginning, but you can't specify a knot or other entrypoint in the story.
nehvaleem

Post by nehvaleem »

Is it possible to get conversation starting point? I would like to be able to check which conversation just ended? Since we can specify starting point via

DialogueSystemInkIntegration.SetConversationStartingPoint(conversationStartingPoint);
is it a way to retreive this value? I don't see anything like this in source code.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

If you only need to know the story name, you can check DialogueManager.lastConversationStarted.

If you need to know what knot in the story the trigger started at, I'll make that accessible in the next update of the integration package.
nehvaleem

Post by nehvaleem »

Yeah, I know about lastConversationId, but I need that last starting entry also :) I've managed to workaround this on my side, but it would be awesome if you could add this to the package.

Also, is it possible that you expose ink entrypicker the same way as you did with the [ConversationPopup] ? It is pretty awesome and I am making use of it in my project. One note tho: I've noticed that [ConversationPopup] sometimes has values from ink (the ink files attached to integration) and sometimes it doesn't. I don't know what causes this.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

I'll take a look at both of those entry picker items (expose as attribute, and sometimes not showing Ink stories).