Adding Dialogue UI to Dialogue Manager

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
IGOR824

Re: Adding Dialogue UI to Dialogue Manager

Post by IGOR824 »

Thanks for all the help by the way,

The Dialogue Panels did have CanvasGroup components but the Alpha value were set to one when the scene was being played.

I'm not sure as to how I got these warning messages to show but this is what it is, I can't seem to be able to recreate the warnings.

[15:34:22] Dialogue System: Can't determine what subtitle panel to use for Thomas UnityEngine.Deubg:LogWarning(Object, Object)

I wasn't the one to set up the Triggers for the scene so perhaps that is the problem? This image is the components for the Actor Game Object I have that is separate from the Dialogue UI.

Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

I think that error message is the key. Expand Thomas's Dialogue Actor > Dialogue UI Settings. Try setting the Subtitle Panel Number to Default. You can change it later, but this will at least let you test the default NPC subtitle panel (or default PC subtitle panel if it's a player actor).
IGOR824

Post by IGOR824 »

That's the Dialogue Actor Component for Thomas and the Subtitle Panel Numbers were already set to Default.

I'm still quite perplexed about the fact that none of the Game Objects are visible in the Camera Preview, obviously that's not causing the error but could the problem be of how I've created the Dialogue UI and attached it to the Canvas? Previously the prefab of the Basic Standard Dialogue UI was attached to the Dialogue Manager, but in order to create a custom UI I had replicated the prefab by creating my own Game Objects and creating the custom Dialogue UI I'm trying to use and mirroring what the Basic Standard Dialogue UI had.

Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Would it be possible for you to send a reproduction project to tony (at) pixelcrushers.com? (All customer files are handled confidentially.)

You could also try adding one of the built-in dialogue UI prefabs to the Dialogue Manager's Canvas, and compare each part for differences.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

I was just about to open your reproduction project when I got your forum message that you fixed the issue. Glad you were able to resolve it. If any other issues come up, just let me know.
DragBro

Post by DragBro »

I'm sorry for replying after such a long time. I'm a new user and have recently encountered a similar issue, but I've found a solution. I plan to share my situation here.

Dialog UI will be initialized and acquire Subtitle Panels during GameObject Awake(). If a conversation starts before Awake() is called, it may result in a warning of not finding the Subtitle, and the UI won't display correctly.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Good point. Thanks for sharing it.