Conversation gets started and I don't know why!

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
OneManOnMars

Conversation gets started and I don't know why!

Post by OneManOnMars »

Hi there,

this is somwhat of a strange problem. I have a scene with a handfull of short conversations lined up after each other. So when walking from left to right you trigger new conversations when ever you enter the next conversation trigger.
Each trigger is set to "Stop Conversation On Trigger Exit" and None of the triggers do overlap. This works fine but for what ever reason conversation nr. 4 simply starts between conversation 2 and 3 for no obvious reason.
I checked the linkage of the conversation. Checked if there is a trigger accidentally placed somewhere else.
In fact I do entere a trigger at the moment conversation 4 starts. But this is trigger only activates the next portion of the level.
I also removed all the conversation triggers from the level activation structure so all triggers are active from the get go.

To veryfiy if anything else is triggering the conversation4, I simply deactivated it and this solves the problem. But well the conversation then does not start when it should. But it tells me, that this trigger in fact triggers conversation 4 as it should but simply much to early(before entering the trigger).

I simply have no idea why this happens.
The conversation is with the same actor, he flys along the level with you and should give you hints for the portion of the level you are in.

Do you have any idea what could be going on? If helpful I'll send you a video to show the problem.

Many thanks in advance
Tony Li

Re: Conversation gets started and I don't know why!

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Set the player's tag to 'Player', and on conversation 4's Dialogue System Trigger click the "Add 'Player' Tag" button.

I'm guessing that when the next portion of the level is activated, some collider in it touches conversation 4's trigger collider. If you require that the Dialogue System Trigger only fires when a 'Player' collider touches it, then it should only fire when the player enters, not when the next portion of the level is activated.
OneManOnMars

Post by OneManOnMars »

This is it! Thank you so much Tony. You're awesome! :D
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Glad to help! :-)