Sequencer Issues

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
SuperSparkplug

Sequencer Issues

Post by SuperSparkplug »

Hi there,

I'm testing the Sequence trigger function to create cutscenes. I'm currently using the Fade function for testing, much like what was used in the youtube documentation video that basically explained cutscenes with the Sequence trigger. However, I've noticed that the fade command (eg. Fade (in, 0.5);) is not working at all and I don't know why. I tried another call like Move To, which seems to work, however Fade does not. It makes me concerned that other functions in the sequencer, of which I'm not yet prepared to use like Animation, may have issues too. I'm wondering if perhaps you could help me identify the problem of why Fade doesn't work.
Tony Li

Re: Sequencer Issues

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Does the Dialogue System log any warnings to the console?

Does your camera have a GUILayer? The Fade() command uses the standard technique of drawing a texture on the GUI layer.

In the Feature Demo example scene, the Feature Demo GameObject has a Sequence Trigger that calls Fade(in, 0.5). Does this work for you?
SuperSparkplug

Post by SuperSparkplug »

My camera did not have a GUILayer, but after adding one, nothing has changed.

Let me explain what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to make a sequence of actions occur on Trigger Enter. I'm only using Fade as a test. The problem is that I can't seem to get fade to work at all on Trigger Enter, which I don't understand. The only thing the Console gives me is a caution message saying.
Dialogue System: Sequencer received a blank string as a command name
UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning(Object)
PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.Sequencer:ActivateCommand(String, String, String[])
PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.Sequencer:PlayCommand(String, Boolean, Single, String, String, String[])
PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.Sequencer:PlaySequence(String)
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

You can ignore the "Sequencer received a blank string as a command name" warning. This is because there's nothing after the semicolon.

Does the fade in the Feature Demo scene work?

What version of the Dialogue System are you running? The version number is in Assets/Dialogue System/_README.txt. The latest on the Asset Store is 1.5.2.

Can you please post a screenshot of the Inspector view of your Sequence trigger?
SuperSparkplug

Post by SuperSparkplug »

Okay, something strange happened. Suddenly the fade works, both in and out, even on trigger. I started Unity again to check what you asked with no changes and now it magically works. Not exactly sure why considering I had to quit and restart Unity a few times when I had this issue yesterday with the same problems... I guess everything works now?
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

I'm glad it's working now. Maybe there was a typo in the sequence that caused it to evaluate the duration to 0 seconds. If the problem recurs, please feel free to send an example project to tony (at) pixelcrushers.com. I'll be happy to take a look.