Prompting Alerts

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
Rocco

Prompting Alerts

Post by Rocco »

Is there any way to prompt alerts aside from having a conversation node? I want to prompt an alert at a certain point but I don't want to make a new conversation with an empty node just to have that alert. I am also using Adventure Creator. Is there a way to prompt an alert from there?
Tony Li

Prompting Alerts

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Good idea - In the next release, I'll add an Adventure Creator action to show an alert.

Currently, you can show an alert using an Alert Trigger or any of the other triggers that allow you to specify an alert message such as Increment On Destroy. You can also call DialogueManager.ShowAlert() in code.

Tony Li

Prompting Alerts

Post by Tony Li »

You can download an updated support package for Adventure Creator: here.

This updated package works with AC 1.44 and AC 1.45, and adds two new actions:

ThirdParty: Dialogue System Alert (shows a message using the Dialogue System's UI)

ThirdParty: Dialogue System Sequencer Message (sends a message to the sequencer)

Rocco

Prompting Alerts

Post by Rocco »

Tony, thanks for getting that update out so quick! Looks awesome so far. As a quick question, how would you go about setting a Popup Switch type variable in AC through the Dialogue Nodes. I've tried

Variable[My_PopupSwitch] = "MyValue";

Variable[My_PopupSwitch] = MyValue;

Variable[My_PopupSwitch] = 0;

None of which seem to alter the value of my Popup Switch. Is there something I'm missing?
Tony Li

Prompting Alerts

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

What is the name of your AC variable as defined in AC's Variables tab? And what type is it (string, int, Boolean)?
Rocco

Prompting Alerts

Post by Rocco »

The name of my AC Variable is Q1B Trigger. It's type is Popup.
Tony Li

Prompting Alerts

Post by Tony Li »

Thanks! Let me look into this and get back to you. I may need to add specific support for the Popup variable type. The AC/DS bridge currently supports the basic variable types: strings, ints, floats, Booleans.
Rocco

Prompting Alerts

Post by Rocco »

Tony,

Sounds good. In the mean time I have found another way around this. I am just going to make a empty dialogue node with a sequencer command to hit Continue for me.
Tony Li

Prompting Alerts

Post by Tony Li »

Should you need to sync popup or float variables in the future, I updated the AC support package. It's on the Dialogue System Extras page.
Rocco

Prompting Alerts

Post by Rocco »

Thank you very much Tony!