I feel like I'm losing my mind trying to get this software to work

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for Quest Machine.
dodgysparky

I feel like I'm losing my mind trying to get this software to work

Post by dodgysparky »

I can barely ever get the Journal to display the correct text, it's almost always blank, it seems to work for a bit then stops showing anything despite the active quest having body text available.

I simply cannot get the messaging system to progress the quest from one condition node to another, I know for a fact that the messages are being sent between, I can see it in the debug in the console.

Basically no part of this software is working reliably for me and I have followed every element of the youtube tutorial from beginning to end three times.

Is there some fundamental element missing here, is there one "Oh yeah if you're using this then the whole system breaks" situation going on?

I'm at my wits end.
Tony Li

Re: I feel like I'm losing my mind trying to get this software to work

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with Quest Machine. Let's take a look at each thing one by one.

First, are there any errors or warnings in the Console window?

Does the Demo scene work as expected?

If you keep the Quest Editor window open and inspect the GameObject that has the Quest Journal component (typically the player GameObject), the Quest Editor window will show the player's quests. Nodes that are green are true (i.e., complete), and nodes that are blue are active. Do you see this when you play your scene in play mode?

Then let's look at one quest at a time. Can you share screenshots of one of your quests?
dodgysparky

Post by dodgysparky »

The issue seems to exist by trying to get the Quest to autostart. What I am trying to achieve is to have the quest autostart at the beginning of at level, to achieve this I have added a collider in the spawn area that sends a message to the Condition in Autostart "Explored Start"

However the quest never begins, I can only get it to begin by having it in the OFFER section. How would you go about making Autostart actually start the quest. I have assigned the quest to the player's journal component, so they have it, and the Message is being sent in the console window, however the quest will not begin

Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Just so I understand: If you use a Quest Giver (e.g., NPC) to offer the quest, and that's how the player accepts the quest, does everything work correctly? If something isn't working correctly when using a Quest Giver to offer the quest, please let me know what isn't working correctly.

Once we get that straightened out, let's take a look at Autostart. With Autostart, you've assigned the quest to the player's Quest Journal. In this case, is the quest in the Waiting To Start state? Here's an example scene:

QM_AutostartQuestExample_2024-07-24.unitypackage

In this scene, if you enter the field with the carrots, it will autostart a copy of the Harvest Carrots quest. The field has a trigger collider that sends a message to the instance of the quest that's waiting on the player.
dodgysparky

Post by dodgysparky »

Importing that Unity Package into the scene to test seemed to fix the issue in my project scenes, do you know why that might be?
dodgysparky

Post by dodgysparky »

I suppose while we're here, how would you set up a trigger area to prompt a dialogue box during a quest. My character has a quest that has autostarted, then I would like them to walk to an area, and upon entering that area I would like the dialogue box to appear with a internal monologue from that character "I made it to the area, now onto the next"(for example)

Is there a script that can prompt the dialogue box to appear in that case? The Quest Giver component prompts dialogue, but I can't seem to get it to list dialogue from that section of the quest's condition node's "Dialogue" section once the quest has already begun

(

Pictured, empty dialogue box and message that should have appeared in it?
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Maybe importing the unitypackage triggered a recompile that fixed an issue in your project. Anyway, I'm glad that it's working now.

Here's an updated autostart example:

QM_AutostartQuestExample_2024-08-27.unitypackage

In this version, there's a new trigger collider named "Other Dialogue Quest Trigger" on top of the rabbits (to the left of the carrots). This GameObject has a Quest Giver component whose ID is "Me":

otherDialogue1.png
otherDialogue1.png (82.3 KiB) Viewed 359 times

The quest has a new node named "OtherDialogueNode" in which I've set the Speaker to "Me", matching the ID of the Other Dialgoue Quest Trigger:

otherDialogue2.png
otherDialogue2.png (56 KiB) Viewed 359 times

When the player enters Other Dialogue Quest Trigger (whose Quest Giver ID is set to "Me"), it will show the dialogue for nodes whose Speaker is set to "Me".

When the Pick Carrots node is done, it sets OtherDialogueNode inactive and deactivates the trigger:

otherDialogue3.png
otherDialogue3.png (63.93 KiB) Viewed 359 times
dodgysparky

Post by dodgysparky »

That makes sense, is there any reason why "Pick Carrots" couldn't trigger the dialogue window and a separate node needs to do it instead?
dodgysparky

Post by dodgysparky »

I have attempted to set that scenario up, however the dialogue is still not appearing in the window

Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,
dodgysparky wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 9:54 pm That makes sense, is there any reason why "Pick Carrots" couldn't trigger the dialogue window and a separate node needs to do it instead?
To keep quest design streamlined, each node has a single speaker. In the case of the Pick Carrots node, the corresponding node in the Demo's original Harvest Carrots quest is assigned to the Villager so he can remind you what to do. To avoid confusion, the example adds a separate node for the player speaker.
dodgysparky wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 10:22 pmI have attempted to set that scenario up, however the dialogue is still not appearing in the window
Sorry this didn't work out for you. Should you want to revisit it in the future, I'll be available here or on Unity Discussions or Discord.