Bouncy Camera Interpolation

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
virtual_rat

Bouncy Camera Interpolation

Post by virtual_rat »

Hey,

recently purchased dialogue system and really enjoying it so far. I'm trying to integrate it into a game at the moment which has very physics-y movement and was wondering what the best way to make camera movement in the cutscenes match was.

Usually The camera is a child of the player, which moves using physics, and then is smoothed slightly with interpolation in late update. I find the camera command movement too smooth, and was wondering whether there was any inbuilt functionality for different interpolation methods. If not is it worth attempting to code my own sequencer command that uses a bouncier interpolation? If not would it be possible to use the camera as a target but render from a different camera that I can use physics-y movement on as described above to make it follow the dialogue system camera?

Would appreciate any advice on which if any of these approaches sound sensible.

thanks for any help :) .
Tony Li

Re: Bouncy Camera Interpolation

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Thanks for using the Dialogue System!

If the rest of your game is using Cinemachine by any chance, you could use the Cinemachine sequencer commands. Then you can configure whatever behavior you want in Cinemachine.

If you're not using Cinemachine, then a custom sequencer command is probably a good approach. You could copy SequencerCommandCamera.cs to use it as a starting point.
virtual_rat

Post by virtual_rat »

Hey, thank you so so much for the response, really appreciate it! Creating a custom sequencer command worked for me.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Glad to help!