Localization workflow with Unity Localization

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
Daruden

Localization workflow with Unity Localization

Post by Daruden »

Hi, we're starting a new project where we want to use Unity's localization system and integrate it with the Dialogue System, following the tutorials we managed to setup the bridge script in the dialogue manager, to populate our localization table and most of it seems to be working fine. but we had problem with 3 things.
- First, for the changes on the localization table to take place we have to rebuild our addressables, this is a minor issue and we can live with that one.

- Second, I couldn't figure out how to do the reverse workflow and sync the dialogues with the localization table. I tried using the dialogue system export/import but it uses different named files and it doesn't look like the proper way to do it. Any tips?
Basically we want to see the new lines inside the dialogue system after we translate it in the localization tables.
image_2023-11-13_154849223.png
image_2023-11-13_154849223.png (59.95 KiB) Viewed 455 times
image_2023-11-13_154920747.png
image_2023-11-13_154920747.png (36.57 KiB) Viewed 455 times
- Third, is it fine to use the Start node as a way to better separete dialogues in the localization table view? Here is an image as an example and how ou localization is set up
image_2023-11-13_154825138.png
image_2023-11-13_154825138.png (72.96 KiB) Viewed 455 times
Tony Li

Re: Localization workflow with Unity Localization

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

> - First, for the changes on the localization table to take place we have to rebuild our addressables, this is a minor issue and we can live with that one.

That's outside of the Dialogue System. However, you could write an editor script that automatically rebuilds addressables after changes to the localization table(s) if you want to automate it.

> - Second, I couldn't figure out how to do the reverse workflow and sync the dialogues with the localization table. I tried using the dialogue system export/import but it uses different named files and it doesn't look like the proper way to do it. Any tips?

You'd have to write code to do that. The forward (not reverse) workflow only adds Guid fields to your dialogue entries, which it uses to know which localization table entries correspond to which dialogue entries.

This is different from the i2 Localization integration and built-in Localization Export/Import feature, which do import the translated text back into the dialogue database. I'll look into adding this as an option in the Localization Package integration in the next update.

> - Third, is it fine to use the Start node as a way to better separete dialogues in the localization table view? Here is an image as an example and how our localization is set up

Yes, that's fine.
Daruden

Post by Daruden »

That's great, thank you for the fast reply.
We will look into i2 Localization, would you recommend it over Unity's?

Also, regarding this option in a next update, do you have any date in mind for when we could have it implemented? I think it's the only thing in our mind stopping us from using Dialogue System right now. We can continue development without it but we would need it for the future. And since we are used with Unity's localization it would be the best option for us.

Thank you so much
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

An interim update is on the calendar for next Monday. It includes a few small bug fixes. I expect to get the Localization Package addition into that update.

i2 Localization is a fine way to localize, too.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

The Extras page now has an updated Localization Package integration. These additions will also be in version 2.2.42.
Daruden

Post by Daruden »

Just imported it, It's great and exactly what we needed. Thank you so much.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Glad to help! Thanks for the feature suggestion.