Instant Passthrough for Dialogue Options Whose Conditions are True

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
ressie

Instant Passthrough for Dialogue Options Whose Conditions are True

Post by ressie »

Hello!

I have a conversation, which reaches a point where it branches into several dialogue options. Normally, these options would be displayed in the UI, and the player would choose one to proceed.

I'm trying to do things slightly differently where each dialogue option has a condition attached - and as soon as one resolves to 'true' (in order of priority), it immediately passes through into its subsequent node.

Thusly, the player is never aware that there are options at all - in fact they're more like conditional branches to the conversation.

It feels quite simple, but I'm struggling to set this up. I can see a 'False Condition Action' drop down, but I'm essentially looking for a 'True Condition Action' setting, which I'd set to 'Passthrough'. This, combined with the priority setting for each option would do the trick.

Please let me know if I can provide any more info.
Tony Li

Re: Instant Passthrough for Dialogue Options Whose Conditions are True

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Do you intend for the conversation to wait at the point just before it branches, until a Conditions field on one of the branches is true, or perhaps until the player completes some non-conversation action? For example:

Or do you want to skip the response menu when there's only one valid player response, as in the example below:

Or something else entirely? If so, would you please describe a somewhat more concrete example?
ressie

Post by ressie »

Hi Tony, thanks for putting these together! Your first example is exactly what I'm looking to do.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

I suggest using sequencer commands. Here's an example scene:

PlatformResponseExample_2016-08-28.unitypackage

It's based on this forum discussion.
ressie

Post by ressie »

Hi Tony, that's great - thank you! With that, I've gotten everything working successfully.

I had missed the part of the documentation about conditions being checked one node in advance (for anyone else looking at this thread: http://pixelcrushers.com/dialogue_syste ... Evaluation), so it only took the 'spacer' node to get everything working correctly.

Cheers! :D
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Happy to help! Glad it's working now. :-)