Portrait name displaying "Player" instead of the actors name for a second on start

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
WinteryJungle9

Portrait name displaying "Player" instead of the actors name for a second on start

Post by WinteryJungle9 »

Hi,

When I start the dialogue through code with:

Code: Select all

DialogueManager.StartConversation(title);
The portrait name displays "Player" for a split-second before updating and displaying the name of the actor who is supposed to be speaking. This only happens the first time a conversation is started in a scene. This does not happen if I used the dialogue system trigger but I need to be able to start the conversation through code.

Thanks.
Tony Li

Re: Portrait name displaying "Player" instead of the actors name for a second on start

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

A common reason for this is if the subtitle panel's Visibility is set to Always From Start and if there's a mismatch of actors in the conversation.

Check which actors are assigned as the conversation's actor and conversant. To do this, inspect the conversation in the Dialogue Actor and select Menu > Conversation Properties. You'll typically set the Actor dropdown to the Player actor and the Conversant dropdown to an NPC, but you can set both to NPCs if it's an NPC-NPC conversation.
WinteryJungle9

Re: Portrait name displaying "Player" instead of the actors name for a second on start

Post by WinteryJungle9 »

Changing the subtitle panel's visibility from 'Always From Start' to 'Always Once Shown' fixed it.

Thanks very much Tony!
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Glad to help!