Setting up Quest Log & Tracker UI

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
lenster

Setting up Quest Log & Tracker UI

Post by lenster »

Hey, thanks for the amazing asset!

I've been following the manual on setting up the quest UI, and I have a quest, I have attached quest tracker and quest log window components to the dialogue manager and I have added the basic stand quest tracker hud and basic standard ui quest log window to the instantiate prefabs component.

My problem is that all of the component fields on the quest tracker and quest log window aren't filled out, (main panel, buttons, transforms, etc.). In the tutorial they're all filled out, but I don't understand how I'm supposed to fill them out, I thought adding the prefabs to the instantiate prefabs component might do it, but it didn't.

I have attached screenshots of the empty component and the console errors.

I've probably just missed an important step.
Thank you for your help!
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-08-19 at 13.05.26.png
Screenshot 2023-08-19 at 13.05.26.png (47.07 KiB) Viewed 270 times
Screenshot 2023-08-19 at 12.57.13.png
Screenshot 2023-08-19 at 12.57.13.png (134.7 KiB) Viewed 270 times
Tony Li

Re: Setting up Quest Log & Tracker UI

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Here are two ways to assign UI elements to those fields:

1. The easiest way is to duplicate one of the existing prefab UIs, such as "Basic Standard Quest Tracker HUD". Move the duplicate into your own folder, and assign it to the Dialogue Manager's Instantiate Prefabs component > Prefabs list in place of the original one. Then edit the duplicate to look the way you want.

2. Alternatively, you can start from scratch. To do this, I recommend examining how one of the existing prefab UIs is set up. Then set up similar UI elements in your own UI, and assign them to the corresponding fields in your freshly-added StandardUIQuestTracker or StandardUIQuestLogWindow component.
lenster

Post by lenster »

Hey,

Thanks for the quick reply!

It seems like I don't need the quest log window component if I just use the existing prefab and add it to the instantiate prefab component is that correct? I don't really need to customize the look of it.

If so, how can I open the quest log window if I don't have the component?
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

You can add a QuestLogWindowHotkey component to your Dialogue Manager and set the hotkey that opens the quest log window and/or set up a UI Button that calls its Open() method (or call its Open() method in your own script).
lenster

Post by lenster »

Thank you!
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Glad to help!