Ability Info Screen

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
NiToK

Ability Info Screen

Post by NiToK »

Hi Tony,

I'd like to build an ability info screen via dialogue system, meaning whenever the player picks up an ability, this game object triggers via the Dialogue System Trigger an info box containing the following elements:

- the name of the ability (= TMP text element)
- a short video showing what the ability does (= video player element)
- the button combination to use for the ability (= probably also a text element – but it needs to be able to display button icons)
- a description box (= again a TMP text element)

Now my very basic question: Does it make sense using the dialogue system at all for this purpose? :D
I already built an info screen with all these elements within a new canvas but the same Dialogue Manager Game object. But now I have no idea which UI Subtitle Panel component to use to hook all these elements up, how and where to reference the video files and the multiple texts for the text elements etc. So I'm beginning to think, that maybe the DS isn't the best way to do it?

Thanks in advance and thanks again for the help on the Portrait Always On question that I had a while ago, everything works there now!
Tony Li

Re: Ability Info Screen

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

While it would be possible to use a dialogue UI subtitle panel for your ability info screen, it's probably not the most efficient option. It's probably simpler to write a small script to manage your ability info screen.

However, if you do want to use a dialogue UI, let me know what your current dialogue UI looks like -- e.g., does it have a visible Dialogue Panel, or are only the subtitle panel(s) and response menu panel visible?
NiToK

Post by NiToK »

Hi,

thank you for the fast reply!

Thought as much, I feel there are a lot of detours to be made to achieve what a script could do much easier in this case.

But to your question: It's supposed to be a visible panel plus the visible elements in it.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Got it. I meant the containing Dialogue Panel, not the subtitle panel. But it's a moot point since it sounds like you're going to use a more direct approach without the Dialogue System for this use case.