Start Dialogue UI On

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
TrisagionGames

Start Dialogue UI On

Post by TrisagionGames »

Hello,

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I can't seem to figure out how to start on and keep on a dialogue UI.

I've tried:

1. Removing the Animator component of the main UI Panel
2. Setting the UI Panel's Start State to "Open"
3. UI Panel Deactivate On Hidden to "false"
4. Standard Dialogue UI, Don't Deactivate Main Panel to "true"

... and nothing else seems to work. I'm sure I'm missing a simple toggle option somewhere 😔

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Last edited by TrisagionGames on Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Li

Re: Start Dialogue UI On

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

If you want the dialogue UI visible at all times, not just when a conversation is active:
  • Inspect the dialogue UI's Standard Dialogue UI component. Tick Conversation UI Elements > Don't Deactivate Main Panel.
  • Remove the Animator components from the Dialogue Panel and, if desired, all subtitle panels and menu panels.
  • Clear the Dialogue Panel's UI Panel > Show Animation Trigger & Hide Animation Trigger fields as well as the same fields on the subtitle panels and menu panels.
TrisagionGames

Post by TrisagionGames »

Hi Tony, thanks for the reply,

So far I can get everything to stay open once it has started, but the Dialogue Panel and it's children still begin inactive in the hierarchy.

Standard Dialogue UI:

Dialogue Panel's UI Panel:

Dialogue Panel has no Animator, but I kept them on my Subtitle NPC and PC Panels for Focus/Unfocus

Any idea what I'm missing to get it to start with Dialogue Panel and all children enabled? Thank you
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Make sure the animators on your subtitle panels don't deactivate the panels or set their Canvas Groups' Alpha to zero. In fact, you can probably remove the Canvas Group components.

UNtick Deactivate On Hidden on the Dialogue Panel's UIPanel and the subtitle panels and response menu panel.

Certain dialogue UIs will also either need this patch below (which will be in DS version 2.2.39) or to set the Dialogue Manager GameObject's Other Settings > Warm Up Conversation Controller to Off:

DS_UIPatch_2023-07-22.unitypackage

Here's an example scene: (Import the patch above to try it out.)

DS_TestKeepUIOpen_2023-07-22.unitypackage

It keeps the VN template dialogue UI visible.