Dialogue System Skipping All Dialogue

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
ZorcMedia

Dialogue System Skipping All Dialogue

Post by ZorcMedia »

Hi everyone!

I have the Issue that the Dialogue System seems to just skip all the actual dialogue and only shows the menu choices/nothing when the "Always Force Response Menu" option is turned off. This happens with all the UI Prefabs and also if the Continue Button is forced to always be used.

For more context, my simple Dialogue Flowchart looks like this:
Screenshot 2023-07-06 181717.png
Screenshot 2023-07-06 181717.png (42.84 KiB) Viewed 307 times
But the Dialogue isn't seen: It just shows the Menu Choice at the end it would do when the Dialogue field of a node is empty, right?
Screenshot 2023-07-06 182052.png
Screenshot 2023-07-06 182052.png (162.02 KiB) Viewed 307 times
Am I doing something wrong? I just installed the package...
Maybe this is a bug, I am using the New Input System, if that helps...

Thanks for the Support!
Tony Li

Re: Dialogue System Skipping All Dialogue

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Unless you've set custom node colors for your actors, blue nodes indicate nodes that are assigned to a player actor. To show these nodes as subtitles, tick the Dialogue Manager GameObject's Display Settings > Subtitle Settings > Show PC Subtitles During Line. For an annotated screenshot and more details, please see How To: Bypass Response Menu When Player Has One Choice

If you intend for some of these nodes (such as "Ah. There you are...") to be spoken by an NPC:

1. Select Menu > Conversation Properties. In the Inspector view, set the Actor dropdown to Player and the Conversant dropdown to an NPC actor.

2. Inspect the nodes that should be spoken by an NPC. Set their Actor dropdowns to the NPC actor. They'll appear gray in the Dialogue Editor.
ZorcMedia

Post by ZorcMedia »

I see!

Turns out the real mistake I made was accidentally ticking the "Is Player" option on the NPC character!
Oops...

Thanks for the quick support!
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Happy to help!