Play two conversations at the same time on different canvases

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
llizzyff

Play two conversations at the same time on different canvases

Post by llizzyff »

Hi everyone,
For our game we made tutorials that appear when the player does something for the first time.
In some cases the tutorial conversation should appear in front of the normal running conversation and forbid interaction with everything else, except for the tutorial conversation, as long as the player hasnt clicked its continue button.

I tried using two canvases:
the gameobject which triggers the tutorial conversation has a 'override display settings' component which uses the other canvas. In Play Mode both conversations appear but not their continue buttons. Both conversations continue without waiting for players input.

Which settings do I have to use so that the conversations only continue after clicking their buttons? I tried multiple things but saldy nothing changed. Or is there any other possibility to solve this differently than with two canvases?

Thank you very much for any answers!
Tony Li

Re: Play two conversations at the same time on different canvases

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

To require the player to click a continue button to advance all conversations, inspect the Dialogue Manager GameObject and set Display Settings > Subtitle Settings > Continue Button to Always.

To override this for a specific conversation, inspect the conversation in the Dialogue Editor. Select Menu > Conversation Properties. Then tick Override Display Settings > Subtitle Settings and set the Continue Button dropdown to a different value.

To override it for a specific dialogue entry node, use the Continue() sequencer command to simulate a continue button click, or use the SetContinueMode(true/false) sequencer command.
llizzyff

Post by llizzyff »

Hi Tony,
thanks for the quick answer! Your suggestions worked. Therefore we dont need the second canvas. Now both conversations play at the same time and wait for continue. But another problem occured: the tutorial-conversation is always in the background.

Is there any possibility to force a conversation to always be in the foreground? While in Play Mode: If I move the Tutorial UI so that its the last child of the Dialogue Manager, its in the foreground. Forcing this via script sadly made no difference.

Thank you!
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

I recommend putting the conversations' different dialogue UIs in separate canvases. Then set the tutorial canvas's Sort Order to a higher value.