Dialog entry groups are too easy to accidentally create, too hard to delete

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
lgarczyn

Dialog entry groups are too easy to accidentally create, too hard to delete

Post by lgarczyn »

I find myself accidentally creating dialogue entry node groups quite often, usually because I pressed ctrl a few milliseconds after the click (instead of before, to open the context menu).

This creates a very confusing zero-width group Image

Pressing ctrl-z, my immediate reflex, destroys any changes since the last save, without any possible redo.

Right-clicking this weird triangle gives no result. Clicking gives no feedback.

After a bit of fiddling with it, I discover that dragging it turns into a window, like this Image

Because I dragged left, this apparently puts the entry group into a cursed empty mode, that cannot be closed or selected, unless one tries to drag it all the way right again

What should have happened:
* user should not be able to create a group unless selection actually covers dialogue entries
* dialogue entry group should display correctly, no matter the drag direction
* dialogue entry group should *definitely* not be created if no drag is happening
Tony Li

Re: Dialog entry groups are too easy to accidentally create, too hard to delete

Post by Tony Li »

Thank you -- yes, I'll make those changes in the next update. I'll try to get a patch out sooner than that, too.
lgarczyn

Post by lgarczyn »

Thanks for the very quick replies, as usual ^^
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

This patch has improvements to node groups:

DS_NodeGroupPatch_2023-06-18.unitypackage

Some users want to be able to create node groups first and then create nodes in them, so you can still create node groups that don't contain any nodes. But it will only create the node group if the rect is large enough. You also cannot reduce the size of a node group beyond a certain limit.

Node group headings also now stay white (in dark mode) or black (in light mode) regardless of the node box's color. Users were having trouble reading the headings when the box colors were extreme.