Another conversation is already active. Not starting 'Conversation Name'

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
robster21

Another conversation is already active. Not starting 'Conversation Name'

Post by robster21 »

After I Load <Scene B> From <Scene A>,
I clicked(Used) an Game object that have an Usable and Dialogue Trigger Component.
And I've get this error log.

I don't know about the cause of this error log. Please help me.
Attachments
bug.PNG
bug.PNG (106.06 KiB) Viewed 1033 times
Tony Li

Re: Another conversation is already active. Not starting 'Conversation Name'

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Make sure the previous conversation has ended before starting the next conversation. Note that just changing scenes does not end conversations. Conversations are allowed to continue across scene changes.

If you actually intend to run multiple conversations at the same time, tick the Dialogue Manager's Other Settings > Allow Simultaneous Conversations, and make sure each conversation uses its own separate dialogue UI.
robster21

Post by robster21 »

Hi, and sorry, I found the cause of the problem!
I had set the Dialogue System Events's On Conversation Start to disable Player Game object's Selector component but the Player Game object was destroyed when I loaded a scene.

It was a very simple cause... :shock:
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Glad you found the issue! :-)
Luseya

Post by Luseya »

Hello! I am having the same error but can't seem to figure out the cause on my end :(

I only have one Dialogue Manager in the scene, and I only have one NPC that the Player can talk to, so I'm not sure why it's saying there's another conversion active.

(I hope it's okay to reuse this forum by the way! I figured it would be easier for other users who have this error).
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Is the previous conversation still active? Temporarily set the Dialogue Manager's Other Settings > Debug Level to Info. Then reproduce the issue. When the first conversation ends, check for this line in the Console:

Dialogue System: Conversation ending.
Luseya

Post by Luseya »

Hello! Yes, that message appeared in the console when I set the Debug Level to Info~
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Do you mean the "Conversation ending" message?

If so, then presumably no conversation should be active. Maybe your Dialogue System Trigger is being triggered twice?

If you want the Dialogue System Trigger to force all active conversations to stop before starting its own conversation, tick the Replace checkbox.
Luseya

Post by Luseya »

Yes, the Conversation ending message showed up.

I'm not sure how the Dialogue Manager would be triggered twice...

I did notice that the error shows up when the Player is given two options to choose from and one is selected.

Attached is a screenshot of the test conversation I've been working with. When the Player is given the option to choose between tomato and carrot, when I select one of those options, that's when the error shows up.
Attachments
test_convo_screenshot.png
test_convo_screenshot.png (32.94 KiB) Viewed 878 times
Luseya

Post by Luseya »

Oh actually!

I realized that the reason that error shows up whenever I make the selection, it's because I set it up so that when the Player clicks on the NPC, that's what triggers the dialogue.

Apparently I did not configure it properly, so that if I click again, it's like I'm trying to talk to the NPC again during the conversation. Do you know how I can set it up where 1) I have to click the NPC specifically to trigger the conversation as opposed to clicking just anywhere? 2) Clicking after that doesn't try to re-trigger the conversation until the conversation ends?

Thank you!