Multiple portrait images on one subtitle panel

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
Karvakeiju

Multiple portrait images on one subtitle panel

Post by Karvakeiju »

Hi,
Im new to the Dialogue System and I'm trying to create a dialogue system where the player and the npc(s) portrait images are always visible on either side of the screen and the dialogue is in the middle. Do I need to add multiple subtitle panels to show the portraits while some "main" subtitle panel shows the actual dialogue or how do I proceed. I don't even know where to start so I'm here asking for help. I also added an image of what the dialogue system is supposed to look like to help everyone understand what I'm trying to achieve here. Thanks in advance!
Attachments
Dialogue_UI_mocup-min.png
Dialogue_UI_mocup-min.png (579.4 KiB) Viewed 376 times
Tony Li

Re: Multiple portrait images on one subtitle panel

Post by Tony Li »

Karvakeiju

Post by Karvakeiju »

Thank you for the fast reply! The UI layout seems to be just the way I wanted it! But I cannot start the scene because of this error:
Assets\Dialogue System Examples\SMS Plus Side Portraits\Scripts\SMSPlusSidePortraitsDialogueUI.cs(20,37): error CS0117: 'DialogueManager' does not contain a definition for 'masterDatabase'

What could be the way to fix this? My database that I use for my conversations is called just Dialogue Database. Renaming it didn't seem to work and I can't figure out whats the problem
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Does your project contain another script named DialogueManager? If so, it may be lacking a proper namespace. If you don't need this script, you can back up your project and then delete it. Then it won't get in the way of the Dialogue System.
Karvakeiju

Post by Karvakeiju »

Thank you for the response. I didn't realize I had a script named 'DialogueManager' from the time I tried to make a Dialogue System from scratch :D
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Glad to help!
Karvakeiju

Post by Karvakeiju »

Hi!
Sorry to come back to an 'old' thread to ask this but is there a way to make the player's portrait appear on the left side with some sequence of something similar. In the example scene both of the portraits are npc portraits that are made to be visible by having them 'say' a blank space and using a Continue() sequence but I have the player's portrait on the left side. The player's portrait only becomes visible when player says the first response and I don't know if I can have the player say an empty response that is skipped immediately. How should I try to solve this problem?
Thanks in advance!
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

If you set the player's subtitle panel's Visibility to Always From Start, it should appear as soon as the conversation starts.
Karvakeiju

Post by Karvakeiju »

Hi,
I tried to set the player subtitle panel's visibility to 'Always From Start' but it only makes the first line of dialogue visible and not the portrait. The portrait only comes visible after the player clicks on the first response.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Does some other actor occupy the same subtitle panel?

If not, and if the player doesn't show up even when its subtitle panel's Visibility is set to Always From Start, would you please send a reproduction project to tony (at) pixelcrushers.com?