Set Sequence Command LoadLevel to always load the next scene in the build settings

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
ehdusjenny

Set Sequence Command LoadLevel to always load the next scene in the build settings

Post by ehdusjenny »

Hello! I was wondering if it's possible to call LoadLevel or another similar Sequence command to load the next scene listed out in the build settings, without having to specify the scene/level name.

The reason I want to do this is to use the same conversation for all scene transitions since I'll have many scenes. This way I won't have to create a conversation for each scene transition where the scene/level name has to be specified in the command.

Thank you for your help!
Tony Li

Re: Set Sequence Command LoadLevel to always load the next scene in the build settings

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

If you want to use the existing LoadLevel() sequencer command, you can use a Dialogue System variable. In LoadLevel(), you can specify a build index instead of a scene name by putting "index:" in front of the build index, such as:

LoadLevel(index:2)

Let's say you have a variable named sceneIndex. You could set up a dialogue entry like this:
  • Dialogue Text: "Take me to the next scene."
  • Script: Variable["sceneIndex"] = Variable["sceneIndex"] + 1
  • Sequence: LoadLevel(index:[var=sceneIndex])
ehdusjenny

Re: Set Sequence Command LoadLevel to always load the next scene in the build settings

Post by ehdusjenny »

Hi Tony, I apologize for the late response, I took a break from coding. Thanks for your help.

I tried running

Code: Select all

LoadLevel(index:[var=sceneIndex])
but it printed an error saying "Scene 'index:1' couldn't be loaded because it has not been added to the build settings or the AssetBundle has not been loaded.".

So I tried running

Code: Select all

LoadLevel(index:1)
but getting the same error.

I attached a picture of my build settings. It has two scenes so I expected "LoadLevel(index:1)" to work but not sure why it's erroring. Would you know why?

Thanks again for your help.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (8.07 KiB) Viewed 1007 times
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

To use the "index:#" format with LoadLevel, make sure you've set up the save system. Otherwise it will use Unity's plain old SceneManager.LoadScene("name") which doesn't understand "index:#".
ehdusjenny

Post by ehdusjenny »

Yes, that fixed it! Thank you for your help once again.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Glad to help!