question about SetContinueMode

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
joeylu

question about SetContinueMode

Post by joeylu »

I have set Continue Mode in dialogue controller subtitle to "Optional"
Then in my conversation, I have 3 nodes
node #1, I input SetContinueMode(false) in sequence (I assume this will disable the continue button, and still play the dialogue)
node #2, nothing in sequence
node #3, I input SetContinueMode(original) in sequence (I assume this will reset continue button to "Optional", and still play the dialogue)

The problem is when conversation starts, it jumps right to node #3, node #1 and #2 is skipped
In order to make node #1 and #2 still showing subtitle, I have to add a Delay(x) after SetContinueMode(false)

So does SetContinueMode(false) not only set continue mode to false, but also disregard the subtitle default Min seconds or Subtitle Chars Per Seconds setting? Please advice, tks Tony
Tony Li

Re: question about SetContinueMode

Post by Tony Li »

joeylu wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:41 amSo does SetContinueMode(false) not only set continue mode to false, but also disregard the subtitle default Min seconds or Subtitle Chars Per Seconds setting?
Yes. SetContinueMode() only sets the continue mode. When continue mode is off, a subtitle will only stay onscreen for the duration of its Sequence. If you want the Sequence to wait for Min Subtitle Seconds / Subtitle Chars Per Second, include Delay({{end}}):

Code: Select all

SetContinueMode(false);
Delay({{end}})
You may want to set the Dialogue Manager's Display Settings > Camera & Cutscene Settings > Default Sequence to:

Delay({{end}})
Then, if you leave a node's Sequence blank, it will play the Default Sequence. You can also include the Default Sequence in another Sequence like this:

SetContinueMode(false);
{{default}}
joeylu

Post by joeylu »

Hi Tony, tks for the reply, so whenever there's something in sequence, the Min Subtitle Seconds / Subtitle Chars Per Second will no longer effect unless Delay({{end}}) is presented? but if sequence field is blank, the the Min Subtitle Seconds / Subtitle Chars Per Second is taking effect right?
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Close. If a dialogue entry node's Sequence field is blank, the node will play the Dialogue Manager's Default Sequence.

If the Dialogue Manager's Default Sequence is Delay({{end}}), then it will delay for the duration of Subtitle Chars Per Second. If the Default Sequence is something else, it will do something else.

If you want a node to play the Default Sequence and also do something else, include {{default}}. For example:

{{default}};
AudioWait(hello)
joeylu

Post by joeylu »

Can I do something like this? Set current node continue button off, but play the default subtitle min second/characters per second ?

SetContinueMode(false);
{{default}};
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Yes, that's totally fine.