"\r" showing in .CSV file

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
manta__fanta

"\r" showing in .CSV file

Post by manta__fanta »

Hi,

I'm exporting my database as a .csv file and some lines randomly contain "\r" on it, and I can't figure out why. It doesn't show up when looking at it in unity, only the .csv. Not sure what this means.

Example: It shows "\r Theodore Buckman\r, 1796-1831\r." When I have typed: " Theodore Buckman, 1796-1831."

Thanks!
Tony Li

Re: "\r" showing in .CSV file

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

That's a carriage return. Have you typed Enter to put some of that text on different lines?
manta__fanta

Post by manta__fanta »

Hi, I have not, it's all on one line. Unfortunately its on a lot of conversations so would take me a while to redo but I can if thats the only way.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

As a workaround, you can probably just do a global search and replace in your CSV file for "\r" and replace it with an empty string.

However, if you'd like to get to the bottom of it, can you email a copy of your dialogue database asset to tony (at) pixelcrushers.com?

Alternatively, you can open your dialogue database asset in a text editor. (Don't save any changes in the text editor, or at least be careful if you do.) If your text editor has the ability to show special characters such as carriage returns, that's even better. The text editor might give you some insight into any special characters in your text.
manta__fanta

Post by manta__fanta »

It looks like if I copy and paste from unity into notepad, it does indeed show the line breaks. Strange but I think I can go through and fix this by retyping. Thanks for the insight!
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Glad to help!