Event System Missing?

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
jessienebulous

Event System Missing?

Post by jessienebulous »

I keep getting an error message that says the Event System is missing. I've gone through the documentation and the tutorial videos and unless I'm just missing it, the event system doesn't seem to be really covered. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks.
Tony Li

Re: Event System Missing?

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

The Event System isn't part of the Dialogue System. It's a GameObject that handles input for Unity UI.

If your scene doesn't have an EventSystem, Unity UI won't recognize input such as navigating between different UI Buttons and clicking them. You can add one by selecting menu item GameObject > UI > EventSystem.

The Dialogue System's dialogue UI and quest log window components have a "Add EventSystem If Needed" checkboxes. If ticked, they will log a warning and add a generic EventSystem to the scene at runtime if the scene doesn't have one. However, it's probably best to add one yourself using the menu item. This way you won't get the warning log, and you can inspect the EventSystem and make sure it's set up the way you want.
jessienebulous

Post by jessienebulous »

Oh, my bad! XD thank you. I'm very new to game development in general and Unity in particular (I started with Godot) so I'm still learning the software.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

No worries! If any other questions (Dialogue System or Unity) come up, feel free to ask.
perezbalen

Post by perezbalen »

Hi
I'm using dialogue system with adventure creator. Dialogue system gives a warning if I don't have an event system. But Adventure Creator creates its event system at runtime, so it gives me a warning if I do have an event system on the scene.
What's the best practice here?
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Inspect your dialogue UI's Standard Dialogue UI component and untick Add EventSystem If Needed. Then inspect your quest log window and untick the same checkbox there, too. If you haven't set up a quest log window, the Dialogue Manager GameObject's Instantiate Prefabs component > Prefabs list may be instantiating a default one for you, so look there, too.
perezbalen

Post by perezbalen »

Thanks.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Happy to help!