Standard Dialogue UI ORK Bridge

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
Tony Li

Re: Standard Dialogue UI ORK Bridge

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Can you navigate other (non-Dialogue System) UIs with the gamepad?

Are the gamepad's inputs mapped to the EventSystem's Vertical Axis input definition?
Edla

Post by Edla »

Yes, the gamepad works with everything else, the character and ORK's menus with no problem.

I don't quite understand what you mean by EventSystem's Vertical Axis.

The mappings are all default, I have not made any mapping changes in the unity input manager.

Tony Li wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:00 pm Hi,

Can you navigate other (non-Dialogue System) UIs with the gamepad?

Are the gamepad's inputs mapped to the EventSystem's Vertical Axis input definition?
Edla

Post by Edla »

Finally figured out why it's not working.
The spawned _Makinom object has an child object EventSystem, which has a Makinom Input Module instead of the Standard Input Module.

So I added a new EventSystem child object to the DialogManager, when the game is run, the _Makinom child object EventSystem didn't get spawned and the Dialogue panel works.

Now the question is what's the effect of replacing Makinom Input Module with Standard Input Module can cause. since the Makinom Input Module is in a DLL and can't be viewed.
Capture2.PNG
Capture2.PNG (89.26 KiB) Viewed 1095 times
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (86.47 KiB) Viewed 1095 times
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

I haven't taken a look at MakinomInputModule's code, but here's the API reference for MakinomInputModule,

It might be best for ORK's happiness to use a MakinomInputModule EventSystem. To do this, you'll need to tell the Dialogue System to not spawn a default EventSystem. Inspect your dialogue UI, and untick "Add EventSystem If Needed". Then inspect your quest log window (if you use one) and untick the same checkbox there.
Edla

Post by Edla »

I added an EventSytem object to the scene, it's not added by the Dialogue UI.
Unticking "Add EventSystem If Needed" does not change anything.

The Dialogue just won't work with MakinomInputModule present in the Event System.
To double confirm this, at run time I added the Standard Input Module to the Makinom spawn EventSystem and the panel works. As long as the mouse pointer is not over the response buttons.

Tony Li wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:11 am I haven't taken a look at MakinomInputModule's code, but here's the API reference for MakinomInputModule,

It might be best for ORK's happiness to use a MakinomInputModule EventSystem. To do this, you'll need to tell the Dialogue System to not spawn a default EventSystem. Inspect your dialogue UI, and untick "Add EventSystem If Needed". Then inspect your quest log window (if you use one) and untick the same checkbox there.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Do ORK UIs that use Unity UI work with the gamepad?

I'll set up a test scenario, too, and get back to you by tomorrow.
Edla

Post by Edla »

Yes, All the ORK UI work with the gamepad.
Tony Li wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:30 pm Hi,

Edla

Post by Edla »

More info related to input I forgot to mention

I have changed the Accept/Cancel Input Keys in Makinom to the following the settings to work with the gamepad. I suppose this won't make cause any problems right with Dialogue System?? The ORK menu all work with this setting.
I even reverted back to the Keycode settings, but still wouldn't work.

Accept
Input Origin - Unity Input Manager
Input Name - Submit

Cancel
Input Origin - Unity Input Manager
Input Name - Cancel
Tony Li wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:30 pm Hi,

Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

That should be fine. It doesn't impact navigation (e.g., gamepad up/down) at all. I should have a good answer for you tomorrow.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

I got an answer from the ORK dev:

The MakinomEventSystem doesn't implement gamepad/keyboard navigation. If you want to be able to navigate general Unity UI menus such as the Dialogue System's menus, there are settings to manage if Makinom adds an event system or not in ‘UI > UI System’ when the Unity UI system type is selected. You can either use Makinom’s default event system, not create one or spawn one using a prefab.

In your case, use a standard event system, not Makinom's event system. Makinom's event system sets itself up to use Makinom's Accept/Cancel keys. But you can accomplish the same thing by using a standard event system and assigning the same Accept/Cancel inputs to it.