quest machine vs dialogue system

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for Quest Machine.
glen

quest machine vs dialogue system

Post by glen »

Hey guys me again, your favourite idiot lol.
After finally getting the save menu system set up on my invector tpc. I am still noticing a few other issue ie: tracker hud not working and other ifunctions ie hide UI during dialogue still not working at all either it now leads me to this question.

I had originally thought the dialogue system included the quest machine but i see now it is prob just a 'lite' version of it included in dialogue system. My question is how much more involved / better is the quest machine than just using the one included in dialogue system?
I also see that quest machine boasts a save system / menu and quest tracking hud, my other question is am I going to just have the same issues as I am currently having because the quest machine is just using the same 'extra' menu system as the dialogue system?

thanks in advance for any help
glen
Tony Li

Re: quest machine vs dialogue system

Post by Tony Li »

Hi Glen,

The Dialogue System and Quest Machine are completely different assets. They can integrate together, but apart from the shared save system they're entirely separate.

The Dialogue System has a full quest system. It's not a lite version. You can define quests in fields in the Dialogue System. It has its own quest HUD and quest log window. Dialogue System quests are handled in a more manual way, such as setting quest states in conversations.

Quest Machine has a separate, full quest system, too. You can define quests in a node-based editor. It has its own quest HUD and quest journal window. Quest Machine can also generate quests procedurally at runtime based on the current state of the game world. Quest Machine doesn't do interactive dialogue. It shows a simpler quest offer window with Accept/Decline buttons. It also has some features that require a little less manual work to update quests during play.

The integration lets you tie Dialogue System interactive dialogue to Quest Machine's quests, and things like that. When people use Quest Machine and the Dialogue System together, they usually let Quest Machine handle all the quest stuff and let the Dialogue System do all the conversation stuff.

Here's the comparison chart: https://www.pixelcrushers.com/dialogue- ... omparison/
glen

Re: quest machine vs dialogue system

Post by glen »

Thanks Tony, might be worth trying when it is on sale again. Hopefully some of the DS menu issues aren't in quest machine. I will slog on for now and prob address some of the issues i am having in the dialogue system section. cheers