Can't get SMS dialogue to display for NPC

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
xyztankman

Can't get SMS dialogue to display for NPC

Post by xyztankman »

Hey,

I've been having trouble setting up a secondary dialogue UI for SMS. I have the primary as regular conversations and that already works really well.

When I attempt to override the UI, the UI appears but only the PC dialogue appears and the lines from the NPC are not displayed. It is still registering them though as it has the Delay({{end}}); sequence for all nodes and it waits the time limit.

I also tried the override display settings as well with no luck.
Attachments
Convo.JPG
Convo.JPG (16.54 KiB) Viewed 1108 times
DisplaySettings.JPG
DisplaySettings.JPG (18.96 KiB) Viewed 1108 times
Convo Starter.JPG
Convo Starter.JPG (11.53 KiB) Viewed 1108 times
DialogueTrigger.JPG
DialogueTrigger.JPG (67.9 KiB) Viewed 1108 times
Test1.JPG
Test1.JPG (83.07 KiB) Viewed 1108 times
Test2.JPG
Test2.JPG (51.33 KiB) Viewed 1108 times
Tony Li

Re: Can't get SMS dialogue to display for NPC

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

If you inspect the Test1 and Test2 actors in the Dialogue Editor window's Actors section, what are their Is Player values?
xyztankman

Post by xyztankman »

Tony Li wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:12 pm Hi,

If you inspect the Test1 and Test2 actors in the Dialogue Editor window's Actors section, what are their Is Player values?
Sorry, didn't get any email or notification on the post, neither was set to Is Player. I just tried setting Test1 to Is Player but still no change. Also forgot to show a picture of what it looks like.
Attachments
Error.JPG
Error.JPG (16.68 KiB) Viewed 1085 times
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

What actors are assigned to the conversation's properties? Open the conversation in the Dialogue Editor window, and select Menu > Conversation Properties to see the conversation's properties.

Let's run a few tests:

1. Remove the Override Dialogue UI component from Test1. This can conflict with the Override Display Settings. Then test the conversation.

2. If that doesn't fix it, please try ticking the Dialogue Manager GameObject's Subtitle Settings > Show NPC Subtitles During Line, and Show PC Subtitles During Line, and untick Skip PC Subtitle After Response Menu. This will test if maybe Test1's Override Display Settings aren't being fully observed.

3. If you don't see any errors or warnings in the Console window, set the Dialogue Manager's Other Settings > Debug Level to Info. Then play the scene again. Examine the Console window for anything that looks unexpected.

Also feel free at any point to send a reproduction project to tony (at) pixelcrushers.com. I'll be happy to take a direct look.
xyztankman

Post by xyztankman »

Weird, I can get the player dialogue to appear without issue but the conversant doesn't appear still.

Since my main dialogue works, would it be possible to just combine the two dialogues into one and disable panels within each conversation as needed? I think that would maybe be better than having it override in the first place since the SMS won't be used very often.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

xyztankman wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:05 pmWeird, I can get the player dialogue to appear without issue but the conversant doesn't appear still.
Strange. It's more commonly the other way around, when Dialogue Manager's Subtitle Settings > Show PC Subtitles During Line isn't ticked. When happens if you assign an unmodified version of the SMS Dialogue UI to the Override Display Settings component? (And remove Override Dialogue UI.)

To confirm: No errors or warnings in the Console window?
xyztankman wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:05 pmSince my main dialogue works, would it be possible to just combine the two dialogues into one and disable panels within each conversation as needed? I think that would maybe be better than having it override in the first place since the SMS won't be used very often.
Yes, you could do that, if it would give you the UI results you're after.
xyztankman

Post by xyztankman »

Tony Li wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:52 pm
xyztankman wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:05 pmWeird, I can get the player dialogue to appear without issue but the conversant doesn't appear still.
Strange. It's more commonly the other way around, when Dialogue Manager's Subtitle Settings > Show PC Subtitles During Line isn't ticked. When happens if you assign an unmodified version of the SMS Dialogue UI to the Override Display Settings component? (And remove Override Dialogue UI.)

To confirm: No errors or warnings in the Console window?
xyztankman wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:05 pmSince my main dialogue works, would it be possible to just combine the two dialogues into one and disable panels within each conversation as needed? I think that would maybe be better than having it override in the first place since the SMS won't be used very often.
Yes, you could do that, if it would give you the UI results you're after.
No errors or warnings on the console, everything looked like it was processing it correctly.

I think I'm having better progress with this method, it's now displaying the text for both characters. The only thing is that it isn't scrolling down like in a messaging system, they are replacing the previous text message.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Please remind me -- are you using the SMSDialogueUI script? That's what takes care of appending new messages (instead of replacing) and scrolling down.
xyztankman

Post by xyztankman »

I guess the better question is there a way to switch to this dialogue system with a button press or by a sequence tag. I previously had the 4 subtitle panels listed in the combined dialogue UI and was switching to them with the setpanel sequence. I had both standard and sms dialogue UI scripts attached but it wasn't working when I enabled and disabled the scripts via a button press.

So this is the current setup I have, with the combined dialogue having both dialogue UIs as children. Should the scripts be on the combined dialogue? I also was going to only have one alert system, so I was probably going to put that directly under combined dialogue instead of individually under the UIs
Attachments
StandardDialogue.JPG
StandardDialogue.JPG (89.42 KiB) Viewed 1069 times
SMSDialogue.JPG
SMSDialogue.JPG (91.11 KiB) Viewed 1069 times
CombinedDialogueUI.JPG
CombinedDialogueUI.JPG (37.15 KiB) Viewed 1069 times
xyztankman

Post by xyztankman »

Tony Li wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:45 am Please remind me -- are you using the SMSDialogueUI script? That's what takes care of appending new messages (instead of replacing) and scrolling down.
Yes, I did try to have it switch to that script with a button press, enabling the script and disabling StandardDialogueUI. When I set the SMS prefab directly in the dialogue manager it does work correctly, showing both the PC and NPC dialogue. When I attempted to override the UI with the same SMS dialogue prefab, it only showed the PC text.