Best way to toggle on/off typewriter effect

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
nehvaleem

Best way to toggle on/off typewriter effect

Post by nehvaleem »

Hi, I just wanted to ask what is the recommended way for making the typewriter effect on/off based on a user-defined setting? I didn't dig into the source and tried just enabling/disabling the component accordingly but it leads me to unexpected results such as only part of the subtitle being visible after disabling the component. Another approach that crossed my mind was to add/remove component, but I noticed that there are many other scripts that reference typewriter effect component.

So: what is the recommended way of doing this?
Tony Li

Re: Best way to toggle on/off typewriter effect

Post by Tony Li »

Hmm, enabling/disabling the typewriter should work. Can you identify a specific scenario in which it doesn't behave as expected? Also, if you're not using DS version 2.2.15 (current as of this reply) or higher, please try backing up your project and updating.
nehvaleem

Post by nehvaleem »

I'm back on investigating this issue. I am using the latest version (2.2.15) and the problem I'm facing is visible the most when I change the game setting mid-conversation. For example, if I disable the typewriter effect quite early on the speaker subtitle it will cause current and following lines (for this speaker) to stop displaying at all.

Additional info: I am allowing to pause the game during the conversation (timescale = 0) and then change the game settings (typewriter effect enable/disable). When for example when only 4 characters were displayed by the typewriter effect and the user disables it - this panel won't show more characters from now on with the effect disabled.

Also - is it possible that the quarter stop characters are being read when the typewriter component is disabled? I think it might be but haven't done enough tests to confirm.

I am using Ink Integration and I have sequencer commands tied to the dialogue entries.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Can you send me reproduction steps and/or a reproduction project?

If the typewriter effect component is disabled, it should just immediately show the entire text instead of playing the typewriter effect. If you disable the typewriter effect component while it's typing, it should immediately jump to the end of the text, too.