The Response Menu Panel are not focusing

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
leandro.O

The Response Menu Panel are not focusing

Post by leandro.O »

Hi,

First of all I'm really enjoying the plugin :D

I'm using the Subsurface Template for my game with a change in which the Response Menu is separate from the scroll window

I don't know why, but when it comes to choosing an answer, the screen does not seem to be focused. The answers are created but the show animation is not being called, the input of the control also does not go to the buttons at this time.
Example 1.png
Example 1.png (38.34 KiB) Viewed 373 times
Example 1 (2).png
Example 1 (2).png (64.7 KiB) Viewed 373 times
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
In other examples in the project, it works.
Example 2.png
Example 2.png (6.18 KiB) Viewed 373 times
Example 2 (2).png
Example 2 (2).png (52.88 KiB) Viewed 373 times
Tony Li

Re: The Response Menu Panel are not focusing

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Would you please try the following:

1. Back up your project.

2. Import this patch (which is also available on the Dialogue System Extras page):

DS_DialogueUIPatch_2021-03-24.unitypackage

If that doesn't fix it, please set the Dialogue Manager's Other Settings > Debug Level to Info. Then reproduce the problem. This will log a lot of info to the Console window. First check for any warnings or errors. If you don't see any, scroll down to the bottom of the logs and check if anything looks incorrect. You can try the working example and compare the log lines to see if any difference jumps out at you.

If that doesn't help, please feel free to send a reproduction project to tony (at) pixelcrushers.com.
leandro.O

Post by leandro.O »

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the reply, I tried these solutions, but didn't work :(

Looking for something that I could have changed from the Scroll Template example and debugging, I realized that if the Response Menu Panel object is not placed in the Panel variable of the Standard UI Menu Panel component, it does not deactivate. And when activating the Scroll Dialogue object he was changing the Response Menu Panel's panelState to open, doing that at the time of the call nothing happened because it was already "open".
Because of that the bug didn't happen when the response menu was opened right at the beginning of the dialog.
Maybe a solution.png
Maybe a solution.png (102.75 KiB) Viewed 361 times
I don't know if this is a bug, because in the variable's tooltip it is written that placing an object there is optional, or if the solution that I founded is a reflection of something I configured wrong.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

It's optional to assign the Panel, but if the Panel is unassigned then the dialogue UI won't control it (e.g., won't deactivate it), and if it has an Animator the Animator will still continue to run, just without anything controlling it (e.g., to set its Show trigger).

If that's OK with you, then what if you set the Response Menu Panel inactive at design time and set its Start State to Closed?
leandro.O

Post by leandro.O »

If that's OK with you, then what if you set the Response Menu Panel inactive at design time and set its Start State to Closed?
This works too, thanks Tony!!! \o/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One more thing, I don't know if I would need to create another topic, I'll use this one.

I'm having this same problem:
https://www.pixelcrushers.com/phpbb/vie ... 450#p23450
but the

Code: Select all

SetContinueMode(false)
is not deactivating the button.

I don't know if it's because of the way I built my screen. But all Standard UI Subtitle Panel are sharing the same continue button.
Continue Button Problem.png
Continue Button Problem.png (13.67 KiB) Viewed 354 times
- The continue button is set to Always
- And as the button is not deactivating, waiting for the message is not working, because with the button active when clicking it jumps to the next dialog
- I use only one button, as it will be a mobile game, I need the button to be the size of the entire screen so that the player can click anywhere and the text is autocomplete and then with another input skip to the next dialog

Just to remind you, I'm using this template:
https://pixelcrushers.com/phpbb/viewtop ... 930#p16930
I'm talking about it because I don't know if there is something that overrides sequence in the dialogue entry.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Is the Continue Button assigned to the Continue Button fields of all three subtitle panels?

As a test, does it work if you use:

SetContinueMode(false)@0.1
This will test if it's a timing issue.
leandro.O

Post by leandro.O »

Is the Continue Button assigned to the Continue Button fields of all three subtitle panels?
Yep, in this field of all three subtitle panels:
Continue button assign.png
Continue button assign.png (51.35 KiB) Viewed 347 times
As a test, does it work if you use:

SetContinueMode(false)@0.1
This will test if it's a timing issue.
It didn't work, the problem must be another :/
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Thanks. I just needed to know that to eliminate that possibility.

Reposition your Continue Button so it's below the Scroll View in the hierarchy but above the Response Menu Panel. Otherwise the Scroll View will block clicks from reaching the Continue Button.

subsurfaceSharedContinueButton.png
subsurfaceSharedContinueButton.png (21.44 KiB) Viewed 347 times
leandro.O

Post by leandro.O »

Sorry Tony, I don't know if I can't explain it properly.
I'm not having a problem with getting click the button. What I'm not getting is to disable the button during the dialog and reactivate it after my window is closed.
I use in Sequence of Dialogue Entry:

SetContinueMode(false);
WaitForMessage(EscolheuChave)
If I understood correctly would it be to disable the Continue Button when entering this dialog?
I do one example of what is happening to me, just one continue button and when it arrives in the dialog with SetContinueMode (false), it is not disabling the continue button.
The correct thing would be to deactivate, or not?
SetContinueMode - Teste.zip
(18.6 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
SetContinueMode - Teste.png
SetContinueMode - Teste.png (102.16 KiB) Viewed 346 times
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Sorry, you said that in the beginning, and I totally forgot. :-)

Since this dialogue UI instantiates copies of the NPC and PC subtitle panels that all share the same continue button, I think the simplest solution is to turn off continue button mode and also temporarily hide the continue button.

In the node where you want to show your window, set the Sequence to:

SetContinueMode(false);
SetActive(Continue Button, false);
WaitForMessage(EscolheuChave)
In the subsequent node, set the Sequence to:

SetContinueMode(true);
SetActive(Continue Button, true)
Side note:
If you want the continue button to be disabled for the entire conversation, the easiest way is to set the conversation's properties. Inspect the conversation in the Dialogue Editor. Select Menu > Conversation Properties. Tick Override Display Settings > Subtitle Settings. In the override section, change the Continue Button dropdown to Never.