Portrait names not showing

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
Keeko

Portrait names not showing

Post by Keeko »

For whatever reason, in multiple different UI setups, the names of the speakers don't show properly (they only show up in the text because I set it to do that)
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (221.32 KiB) Viewed 1066 times
In the photo below, you will see that there is no name at the base of the characters portrait, even though I can see in the prefab it has set correctly, it's just deactivated by something.
Tony Li

Re: Portrait names not showing

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

The VN template's subtitle panels do something a little different. They use the OnOpen/OnFocus/OnUnFocus() UnityEvents to hide and show portrait names. If you don't want this, remove those events.
Keeko

Post by Keeko »

Would onfocus not cause the names to appear when the portrait is active? I noticed that the names show during picking a quesiton only
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

The names show when picking a response because the response menu has its own portrait name UI element.

Normally, you can set a subtitle panel's entire visibility. If it's visible, everything is visible, including portrait image and portrait name. If it's hidden, everything is hidden, including portrait image and portrait name.

The VN template's basic settings keep everything visible so the portrait images stay visible, but then it uses the OnXXX() events to hide the portrait names of all but the current speaker.
Keeko

Post by Keeko »

Removing the events still produces the same result.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Can you send a reproduction project or reproduction steps to tony (at) pixelcrushers.com?

If not, then please post screenshots of the inspector views of your StandardDialogueUI component and all StandardUISubtitlePanel components. Please indicate whether any subtitle panels share UI elements (e.g., same portrait name GameObject assigned to multiple subtitle panels).
Keeko

Post by Keeko »

snip2.JPG
snip2.JPG (67.46 KiB) Viewed 1053 times
SNIP1.JPG
SNIP1.JPG (60.94 KiB) Viewed 1053 times
snip3.JPG
snip3.JPG (75.22 KiB) Viewed 1053 times
I haven't changed the hierarchy really at all, it is the Visual Novel template that I am modifying, I was only changing colours and checked a few options.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Try removing the OnOpen/OnFocus/OnUnfocus() events on subtitle panel 1 also.
Keeko

Post by Keeko »

I have removed all of the events on all of the subtitle panels that pertains to show/hiding names but the names still aren't appearing.
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Ah, sorry, the latest change I made to the focus animation for the VN template left the portrait name inactive. Here's a patch:

DS_VNDialogueUIPatch_2021-02-03.unitypackage